Cure for Marek's?

Damnedifido

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Has anyone heard of using lysine for Marek's? This was shared with me by a long-time chicken guy.
"L-Lysine (200mg) while the disease is active "only", dissolved in water. Use a droplet to administer and they will be good by morning. It's a form of herpes, and it works. The disease must be active to counter it, and it only requires one time to make them immune. "

Welcome to BYC. I have never heard of using the amino acid L lysine for treatment in Mareks, but it has been used as a supplement to control herpes cold sores, and for increasing weight and condition in poultry. It has been used in poultry, but can have a negative effect on weight. Here is a little info I found:
https://thepoultrysite.com/news/2018/01/when-lysine-is-too-much-of-a-good-thing

https://www.icaas-org.com/lysine-and-herpes-recurrence

But if it was just a one-shot deal, there should not be any negative effects, I believe. Would be interested in someone trying this treatment/dosage and finding out if it works!

I kind of doubt that claim that one dose cures it. I doubt if many diseases would help. If you read the articles, it doesn’t cure herpes simplex, but can help control it. It also can lead to wasting away when used in chickens. If studies were done on this, I am sure there would be more articles online about it. I googled a few older articles that mentioned L Lysine in the articles about Mareks, but they were a little to scientific for me to get much info.

L lysine is not a herpes medication, but an amino acid supplement. It has been used as a nutritional supplement. It is sold in vitamin aisles in pharmacies and stores.
Well it seems to be greatly connected to herpes because when I search it up everything that comes up is related to herpes. I do not want to buy something that is so heavily related to treating herpes symptoms if I don't have to.

Well it seems to be greatly connected to herpes because when I search it up everything that comes up is related to herpes. I do not want to buy something that is so heavily related to treating herpes symptoms if I don't have to.
Marek's is a type of herpes. Also, he just told me that it needs to be dissolved in 1.5 tablespoon of water.

Back
Top Bottom