Cure for Marek's?

Damnedifido

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Has anyone heard of using lysine for Marek's? This was shared with me by a long-time chicken guy.
"L-Lysine (200mg) while the disease is active "only", dissolved in water. Use a droplet to administer and they will be good by morning. It's a form of herpes, and it works. The disease must be active to counter it, and it only requires one time to make them immune. "

Not sure where I posted 2 other research studies on recent research regarding Marek's treatments. They were all about Chinese substances: Glycyrrhiza uralensis (not glabra which might caught hemorrhages) to shrink tumors, also Dan Shen to stop new tumors from forming, both from one study that tested about 20 traditional Chinese medicine substances. The other study used Baicalin from scuttelaria baicalensis Georgi.

Finally found my last post: Marek's Disease

I'm in a hurry tonight but here's another one. I usually have to use Google to find research but got lucky with Bing this time.
Anti-herpes virus activity of soursop ( Annona... | Posters | F1000Research

So looks like I'm ordering L-lysine as well as more cranberry extract for the pullets I'm treating now. Turns out Soursop is a no go. After I read more about Soursop, I found it has some serious neurological side effects, the last thing Marek's victims need.

I know I'm changing too many variables at once to know which substance(s) worked if any do, but I'm slightly encouraged that the one who won't eat fought so hard against crop feeding today after only 3 days of Chinese licorice root powder and cranberry extract in her formula and water. Slightly encouraged because previous victims all had good days before downturns.

Found new research for Lysine as a treatment for Covid-19:

(PDF) Lysine Therapy for SARS-CoV-2 (researchgate.net)

I read the whole thing because I was worried about side affects. Lysine has warnings too, mainly to prevent the virus from using Arginine to multiply. For Covid-19 victims, coffee/caffeine are big no-nos. As bad as the pandemic is, I hoped the research would somehow benefit chickens with Marek's.

Hope this helps somebody, if not their chickens.

Last edited:
Not sure where I posted 2 other research studies on recent research regarding Marek's treatments. They were all about Chinese substances: Glycyrrhiza uralensis (not glabra which might caught hemorrhages) to shrink tumors, also Dan Shen to stop new tumors from forming, both from one study that tested about 20 traditional Chinese medicine substances. The other study used Baicalin from scuttelaria baicalensis Georgi.

I'm in a hurry tonight but here's another one. I usually have to use Google to find research but got lucky with Bing this time.

So looks like I'm ordering L-lysine as well as more cranberry extract for the pullets I'm treating now. Turns out Soursop is a no go. After I read more about Soursop, I found it has some serious neurological side effects, the last thing Marek's victims need.

I know I'm changing too many variables at once to know which substance(s) worked if any do, but I'm slightly encouraged that the one who won't eat fought so hard against crop feeding today after only 3 days of Chinese licorice root powder and cranberry extract in her formula and water. Slightly encouraged because previous victims all had good days before downturns.

I read the whole thing because I was worried about side affects. Lysine has warnings too, mainly to prevent the virus from using Arginine to multiply. For Covid-19 victims, coffee/caffeine are big no-nos. As bad as the pandemic is, I hoped the research would somehow benefit chickens with Marek's.

Thanks I’m currently trying lysine on a chicken diagnosed with Mareks. First day today. Gave her about 120g and seemed to improve her vitality, appetite almost immediately. Still having trouble with her foot. But seemed to be balancing slightly better than yesterday. Let’s see how she goes tomorrow.

Well it seems to be greatly connected to herpes because when I search it up everything that comes up is related to herpes. I do not want to buy something that is so heavily related to treating herpes symptoms if I don't have to.
Marek's is a type of herpes. Also, he just told me that it needs to be dissolved in 1.5 tablespoon of water.

Welcome to BYC. I have never heard of using the amino acid L lysine for treatment in Mareks, but it has been used as a supplement to control herpes cold sores, and for increasing weight and condition in poultry. It has been used in poultry, but can have a negative effect on weight. Here is a little info I found:
https://thepoultrysite.com/news/2018/01/when-lysine-is-too-much-of-a-good-thing

https://www.icaas-org.com/lysine-and-herpes-recurrence

But if it was just a one-shot deal, there should not be any negative effects, I believe. Would be interested in someone trying this treatment/dosage and finding out if it works!

Back
Top Bottom