Cured 'em of roosting in the nesting box, but not recommended

dale

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
I've had my 18 chickens and three roosters about a month. One of the hens refuses to roost, she like hanging out in the nesting box and convinced one of the others that sleeping (and pooping) in the nesting box is the cat's pajamas. Now I've got twice the problem.

Advice garnered here had me pick them up and set them on the roost to convince them that is the place to be; while I admit I was not totally diligent in the effort, it did not solve the problem.

A few evenings ago, just before I was to go close up the coop door, I heard some of the hens clucking and acting upset. There was a possum in the coop and the chickens were none too happy with the visitor. The two who like to sleep in the nesting boxes were on the roost with the rest.

Ever since that episode the entire chicken population is exactly where nature intended- right on the roost. Seems an intruder cured them of the habit I failed to break.

Should I feel guilty of dispatching the possum? I didn't think so....
hmm.png

Last edited:
I made some "nest blockers" for my nest. I use stacking bins that I got from Family Dollar. The grooves designed to let them nestle, I cut a piece of pegboard that slides in the front groove and that keeps them from sleeping in the nest. I put them in about an hour before they go to bed and make sure I'm out there early to take them out because I've witnessed some of the hens real anxious standing in front of the nests.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom