Curing hens of brooding

So you’re saying no bedding at all, no straw or anything which will hopefully cure them of their broodiiness. I have a pretty large run which I can section an area off for the two of them. It has a touch of straw, not much mostly dirt. Should I clear all the straw out of that area? Or should I put them in cages up on 2 x 4’s?
In many cases you can break them with bedding/litter underneath (that's how I do it, as my breakers simply sit on the ground) but it might not be as fast or as effective if a bird is really set on brooding.

The brood cage works, close the nest boxes up at dusk and let her feed with the rest and roost. If she winds up in the reopened nest box the next morning, back in cage. Repeat until she doesn't immediately head for nest boxes in the morning
A broody should stay in the cage day and night for optimal breaking. IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

In many cases you can break them with bedding/litter underneath (that's how I do it, as my breakers simply sit on the ground) but it might not be as fast or as effective if a bird is really set on brooding.

A broody should stay in the cage day and night for optimal breaking. IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Its not optimal to leave her out but I will try this if the current system fails to continue working

Back
Top Bottom