Curious about my RIR worried my hen isn't a hen!

adamsfam2006

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Pierce County, WA
New to chicken farming.... Is Rose actually a a Roger? So "she" is the youngest but also the biggest of my gals. Very talkative but no doodling..... What does everyone think based on these photos? :idunno

I'm not good with sexing but this defiantly is a rooster. Big feet, crown, body, rooster feathers, and hens don't get green tail feathers. Sorry.

I would get rid of him soon if I were you. Every Rhode Island Red Rooster I have heard about what very mean once they matured. Agressive towards people that is. Even my neighbor down the street got rid of theirs. They thpught all roosters would be that way!

I would get rid of him soon if I were you. Every Rhode Island Red Rooster I have heard about what very mean once they matured. Agressive towards people that is. Even my neighbor down the street got rid of theirs. They thpught all roosters would be that way!

That's only because your experience has really been with hatchery grade stock that are production reds. True bred Rhode Island Reds are often as tame and friendly as puppies. True Reds cannot be purchased from feed stores, auctions or hatcheries, however.

That's only because your experience has really been with hatchery grade stock that are production reds. True bred Rhode Island Reds are often as tame and friendly as puppies. True Reds cannot be purchased from feed stores, auctions or hatcheries, however.
Interesting, learning everyday on the experience of BYC. Even textbooks and websites on chickens made me stay away from female RIR. Glad to learn they can be friendly.

New to chicken farming.... Is Rose actually a a Roger? So "she" is the youngest but also the biggest of my gals. Very talkative but no doodling..... What does everyone think based on these photos? :idunno

She is not a feed store buy, "rose" is very friendly, one of our favorites so I will be (my kiddo more since she is the chick in our profile pic) sad is this one has to go....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom