Curious About These Color Variations

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
2 of my new chicks have interesting color variations and I wondered if they mean anything genetically.

First, this Delaware has chipmunk stripes.
0526220845_HDR.jpg

Second, this Silver-Laced Wyandotte is very dark, almost black.
0526220850_HDR.jpg

They're hatchery birds, from Ideal, so variation is to be expected but I found this interesting.

The black stripes on the Delaware chick simply indicate the black Columbian markings that are to come. Most Delaware chicks look like that.

The Silver Laced Wyandotte is silver lacing on a black background, so some of them look a bit dark while others look a little bit lighter. This one may not be as laced as others if it has incomplete lacing which may be why it doesn't have as much of the silver down markings.

There are normal variations within any breed. You only need to care if you are breeding to standard.

LofMc

The black stripes on the Delaware chick simply indicate the black Columbian markings that are to come. Most Delaware chicks look like that.

The other Delawares have indistinct black marks but only this one has the stripes.

I guess if I were breeding the Delawares I should mark this chick as correct? But I'm not so I won't be.

This one may not be as laced as others if it has incomplete lacing which may be why it doesn't have as much of the silver down markings.

That's a bummer if it works out that way because this is one of the single-combed chicks that I want for my Silver-Laced Australorp(ish), project.

Back
Top Bottom