curious about water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by penquin, Dec 4, 2011.

1. penquin

penquin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I keep water in the coop and outside. My 5 rocks will drink outside but rarely inside, their food is also inside so I don't understand. Could someone explain this for me please

Thanks all

2. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Don't know the answer but I will share. In the summer, I keep water both inside and outside the coop- they exclusively drink from the water outside- their food is always kept inside. In the winter, I take away the outside water due to freezing and so they drink the inside water with no problems.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:This is very similar to what I do, minus the extra waterer inside the coop in the summer.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't know. Mine drink in the coop, in the run, from the dog's bowl and anywhere else.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Chickens can be arbitrary when it comes to eating and drinking. I wouldn't worry about it. I would simply humor the birds and let them eat ans drink where they want.

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's always better to have more watering stations than they'll need to use than not have enough. Even in winter. Chickens are like little kids - they get distracted by other things and sometimes forget to do what's good for them unless you put it right in front of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by