Curious about what this color EE is called

Holdthechicken

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Hi All, my dad has this hen, I am just curious what the color is called (if it is a specific color, I know EEs are mix breeds) because I like it. She lays a very pretty blue egg, she’s from a hatchery but I couldn’t say which one cause my dad has ordered from various hatcheries over the years. I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 99D2628D-3B47-48FD-9ABC-85644A035D86.jpeg
    99D2628D-3B47-48FD-9ABC-85644A035D86.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
She is beautiful. And she lays blue eggs? I thought silkies only laid tan or cream colored eggs.
She does lay very pretty blue eggs, but I don’t think she has any silkie in her. Then again I don’t know what makes up her Easter Egger cross since I’m new to the chicken world so I could be wrong lol. I’ve grown up around chickens my whole life, but I’ve only recently become a full blown chicken person. I’m about 5 weeks into my own flock.

She does lay very pretty blue eggs, but I don’t think she has any silkie in her. Then again I don’t know what makes up her Easter Egger cross since I’m new to the chicken world so I could be wrong lol. I’ve grown up around chickens my whole life, but I’ve only recently become a full blown chicken person. I’m about 5 weeks into my own flock.

Don't worry, she most definitely doesn't have silkie blood in her

She is beautiful. And she lays blue eggs? I thought silkies only laid tan or cream colored eggs.
The chicken in the first post is not a Silkie.
She does not have the fluffy feathers that Silkies are known for. She is also missing feathered feet, an extra toe on each foot, a crest on the head, and black skin.

She is a Blue. Some might call it a Self Blue, others might call her a Lavender.

Blue and Lavender are caused by different genes.
"Self Blue" usually means the lavender gene.

I think this hen probably has the blue gene, because of the lacing (dark edges) on the feathers, especially by her head.

I still need to learn about the differences in color and I wasn’t sure where this hen was on the line of blue and lavender. First time hearing self blue, I appreciate it!
Blue is caused by the "Blue" gene. One copy of the gene turns all black on the chicken to blue. Two copies of the gene makes a Splash chicken (white or very light gray, with splashes of black or dark blue.) Blue only affects black, not red. It is possible to have a Blue Laced Red chicken (red feathers, with blue "lacing" on the edges of the feathers.) When a chicken would be solid black, the blue gene usually dilutes the middle of the feathers more than the edges, so the chicken looks blue (gray) with black lacing (edges of feathers.)

Lavender is a different gene. It is recessive, so a chicken must have two copies of the gene to show any effects. The lavender gene affects both black and red pigments. While blue can make a "blue laced red" chicken, lavender can make a lavender laced yellow chicken (black to lavender, red to a pale yellow shade.) On a chicken that would otherwise be solid black, lavender makes a solid gray shade, but does not leave dark edges on the feathers.

At one point, lavender was called "self blue," because it caused a "blue" color (gray), and the chicken was "self colored" (solid, with no lacing or other patterns.) The Blue gene is sometimes called "Andalusian Blue" to distinguish it (because it's well known for causing the laced blue in the Blue Andalusian breed.) At present, it's more common to just say "blue" an "lavender" instead of calling them different kinds of blue.

The chicken in the first post is not a Silkie.
She does not have the fluffy feathers that Silkies are known for. She is also missing feathered feet, an extra toe on each foot, a crest on the head, and black skin.

Blue and Lavender are caused by different genes.
"Self Blue" usually means the lavender gene.

I think this hen probably has the blue gene, because of the lacing (dark edges) on the feathers, especially by her head.

Blue is caused by the "Blue" gene. One copy of the gene turns all black on the chicken to blue. Two copies of the gene makes a Splash chicken (white or very light gray, with splashes of black or dark blue.) Blue only affects black, not red. It is possible to have a Blue Laced Red chicken (red feathers, with blue "lacing" on the edges of the feathers.) When a chicken would be solid black, the blue gene usually dilutes the middle of the feathers more than the edges, so the chicken looks blue (gray) with black lacing (edges of feathers.)

Lavender is a different gene. It is recessive, so a chicken must have two copies of the gene to show any effects. The lavender gene affects both black and red pigments. While blue can make a "blue laced red" chicken, lavender can make a lavender laced yellow chicken (black to lavender, red to a pale yellow shade.) On a chicken that would otherwise be solid black, lavender makes a solid gray shade, but does not leave dark edges on the feathers.

At one point, lavender was called "self blue," because it caused a "blue" color (gray), and the chicken was "self colored" (solid, with no lacing or other patterns.) The Blue gene is sometimes called "Andalusian Blue" to distinguish it (because it's well known for causing the laced blue in the Blue Andalusian breed.) At present, it's more common to just say "blue" an "lavender" instead of calling them different kinds of blue.
As always. I love the way you explain. I wish more members on here can answer a question as nice as you.

Back
Top Bottom