Curious Breeding Question

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I’m getting polish chickens soon and they are not sexed. I’m kind of hoping for a boy, because then we can breed him with our current 6 chickens. The breeds we have now are Barred Rocks, Buff orpingtons, and brown EEs. I’m not sure if we’d actually do this, but if we DID, what do you think the babies would look like? If they would have troubles in the future or just be weird, I would also like to know. But if this would just make a possibly cute chicken, I’d like to know as well!

Crests are dominant, so they would be crested, but barely so. More Cream Legbar than Polish in shape.

With the barred rocks, the male offspring would be barred and the females would not be barred. They would almost certainly be black, because Barred Rocks carry the dominant extended black gene.

Buffs are weird. I'm not even gonna hazard a guess.

Brown partridge (what I assume your EEs are) is pretty dominant. The chicks would likely feather out brown, but EEs have some pretty mixed heritage, so there's no guarantees there.

And of course, a lot depends on the genetics behind your rooster.

Crests are dominant, so they would be crested, but barely so. More Cream Legbar than Polish in shape.

With the barred rocks, the male offspring would be barred and the females would not be barred. They would almost certainly be black, because Barred Rocks carry the dominant extended black gene.

Buffs are weird. I'm not even gonna hazard a guess.

Brown partridge (what I assume your EEs are) is pretty dominant. The chicks would likely feather out brown, but EEs have some pretty mixed heritage, so there's no guarantees there.

And of course, a lot depends on the genetics behind your rooster.
Wow, thanks! Now I REALLY want to see what they’ll look like! I’ll probably ask again in June/July when we have the bigger coop done and have room for a few more chickens. I kind of hope we have a silver laced polish rooster, but of course I have no control over it. We ordered 1 tolbunt Polish, 1 silver laced polish, 1 buff laced polish, and 1 black Crested White Polish. I don’t know if this helps with your predictions, but anyways that’s what I’m getting. (But the feed mill I’m getting them from doesn’t know for sure if they can get tolbunt Polish, but so far they didn’t say they COULDN’T get them!)

White-crested black--I don't know crest-color genetics and I doubt that a different color of crest would even show up in the offspring--from what I think I know, the crest has to be fairly large to show another color.

Again, Barred Rock is solid black with a single gene that remove/covers the pigment in stripes. Hens will be black, roosters will be barred

Black should, I think, be completely dominant over partridge. Black hens, black males with possible leakage?

Buff crossing should get you "dipped" chickens

The image below is normal buff x black outcome. (dipped chicken) These are orps, and not mine.
0e27a4dddfe413dbe8ba96de414e25ea.jpg

Tolbunt's weird and I can't find a good site on the genetics. Most of the pattern genes it has seem to be recessive, so I doubt you'd get anything too interesting until second generation.

Barred Rock Extended black gene would still be dominant so that all of the chicks are black, and the males would still be barred.

No idea on the other two colours.

Silver-Laced Polish is a little more interesting.

Again, x BR = black females, barred males

x buff = should get you some buff with really messy sort-of-almost leakage that looks like it's trying to be lacing. I'd say hens'll be silver--but with Buff, that's highly unlikely. Roos'll be an off-colour as well.

This is a silver-laced wyandottexBuff orpington.
01557d3058457a8dcefcef46471baa40.jpg

Welsummer's are partridge. This is Welsummer x silver-laced wyandotte.
pol-welsummer-wyandotte-cross-hen-540eefbaf389b.jpg

Your EE's chicks might look like the above.

Back
Top Bottom