curious of breeding program possibility

rosco

Songster
10 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Texas Panhandle
i'm looking for a chicken cross. i like the frizzle or sizzle and the silkie fluffiness. but the silkie seems a bit tipsy in photos. and i'd rather a chicken with feathers, rather than less feathering as with the frizzles. i'm thinking the cross i saw of Buff laced polish -X- Frizzle.

so i'm guessing it is this cross or a sizzle. but would like sizzle with lots of feathers on head. which would have bigger eggs is another question?

any thoughts?

Last edited:
Quote:
sorry, i made correction.

in short, i'm wondering if there is already an established breed or cross to get fluffy adult hens with fluffy heads like i saw on the for sale pages, i think listed by "raregretchen."

i'd like to make sure the cross or breed has a thicker coat (more feathers) than some of the ones i've seen in pictures.

Gretchen's birds, the buff-laced Polish, are just frizzled Polish. Not a cross. They have the same amount of feathers that a smooth Polish would, the feathers are, well, just frizzled--they just curl in the "wrong" direction. I think, if you like a bird with a crest but want hard feathers and a fluffy, soft bird, the frizzled Polish would be the way to go. Like I said, they have plenty of feathers. They are also super soft and extra cuddly.
big_smile.png
And they are an established breed. Gretchen's birds are bantam Polish that meet the standard for bantam Polish, and they will breed true (well true to Polish standard--you want to breed smooth to frizzle, and then you get 50-50 smooth and frizzle. You don't want to breed frizzle to frizzle, two copies of the gene wrecks feather quality).

Quote:
okay, now where do i get a batch? gretchen wants ~$98 for a dozen, including shipping. that is too much.

i've checked MPC and Meyer but i don't see that they carry a "frizzle Polish."

Back
Top Bottom