Curious, pullets or roos?

Holy schnikies!! And to think we were planning for 50/50. We were also thinking not all eggs would hatch and some chicks wouldn't survive from our research, especially with mama hen being so young. But all 12 eggs hatched and are growing healthy chicks. We felt so bad for Orpy having to keep track of, and warm during a couple freezing nights, all 12 chicks! Us newbies🙄😂
That’s so cool. Mine hatched two chicks yesterday. I’m so worried about the low temperatures that’s coming this way. Mine is a pro. This is her third this year and she’s a bantam and her first one was 7 so I’m sure she can juggle two 🤞🏽

Holy schnikies!! And to think we were planning for 50/50. We were also thinking not all eggs would hatch and some chicks wouldn't survive from our research, especially with mama hen being so young. But all 12 eggs hatched and are growing healthy chicks. We felt so bad for Orpy having to keep track of, and warm during a couple freezing nights, all 12 chicks! Us newbies🙄😂

Over a large enough number of chicks, you do tend to get about 50/50 of males & females. But small numbers can easily be off one way or the other. Sometimes a clutch is mostly pullets, but people usually don't complain about that :D

And you're right, it's common to have an egg or two not hatch, or a chick not survive. But sometimes they do all make it, as you've noticed. If you like to eat chicken the solution is obvious, but if you try to keep all the males or find loving homes for them it gets much more difficult.

Over a large enough number of chicks, you do tend to get about 50/50 of males & females. But small numbers can easily be off one way or the other. Sometimes a clutch is mostly pullets, but people usually don't complain about that :D

And you're right, it's common to have an egg or two not hatch, or a chick not survive. But sometimes they do all make it, as you've noticed. If you like to eat chicken the solution is obvious, but if you try to keep all the males or find loving homes for them it gets much more difficult.
Freezer full for the winter for me 😂 learning how to deal with that situation here too. Thanks to my BYC friends I’m getting the hang of it two more to go 😪

Bone broth for us! They will be quite tiny still, yeah?

Bone broth for us! They will be quite tiny still, yeah?

Depends on the age, and the kind of chicken.

Some people eat quail, which are probably even smaller than your chicks in the first post.

One good thing about small birds: they cook quickly (if you're frying or grilling it-- easy to get it cooked all the way through without overdoing the outside).

That’s so cool. Mine hatched two chicks yesterday. I’m so worried about the low temperatures that’s coming this way. Mine is a pro. This is her third this year and she’s a bantam and her first one was 7 so I’m sure she can juggle two 🤞🏽
I am absolutely in awe over how good of a mom she has been. And seeing her with 12 six+ week old chicks under her and weaved within her feathers just melts my heart ❤️❤️ I have loved this experience! I've definitely learned a lot too. I think I will try this again, just maybe not as many eggs/chicks. I hear that some hens are just broody and continue to be so maybe she will enjoy being a mama hen instead of an egg layer?

Here is my favorite next to, I believe, the same hen and rooster hatch mate. He is a cockerel! But this is the reason for my, very uneducated, guess. If I may ask, I would love a quick explanation of the feathering pattern of a cockerel. It may be too early, but I am having a difficult time differentiating between them. As always, thank you!

Attachments

• 20201202_154159.jpg
    20201202_154159.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201202_154159.jpg
    20201202_154159.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201202_154157.jpg
    20201202_154157.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201202_154154.jpg
    20201202_154154.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201202_154309.jpg
    20201202_154309.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 8
Here is my favorite next to, I believe, the same hen and rooster hatch mate. He is a cockerel! But this is the reason for my, very uneducated, guess. If I may ask, I would love a quick explanation of the feathering pattern of a cockerel. It may be too early, but I am having a difficult time differentiating between them. As always, thank you!
Your cockerel is the one with the bright red rose comb.
Usually, boys with black and white patterns quite like yours get red patches on their "shoulders" of their wing. That usually shows up around 10-12 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom