Curious, which Standard Breed is the best Mother?

treldib

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Southern California
I have always been wondering about this....which breed goes broody the most often and which is the best mother? Yes, I realize all chickens are individuals but in general which are best? Cochins? BO?
smile.png
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
From the chickens I've had in the past, the Buff Orphington is the best broody, & the Barred Rock is the best mother. I have also found, if you let a turkey hen raise your chicks, she'll put her life on the line to protect them!

So far, I've had TONS of girls go broody, but the best mom so far was a BR, if you're looking at large fowl. I would easily say my favorite, most dependable mom was a bantam Cochin.

She will rip apart a Rottweiler to care for her chicks and is dedicated as all getout! My Houdan was a poor mom, and the Buttercup has done well. The Mutts tend to be great moms, and yet the BR was best as LF- banties overall took the cake and served it!!

Hands down the best breed that goes broody the most often and which is the best mother is going to be a American Game hen she will lay here life on the line to protect her chicks and will hatch chicks any time of the year..
I have had free range Game hens hatch out 12-14 chicks in the middle of winter with over a foot of snow on the ground and not loose a one.
I see Game hens "steal" nests and chicks before. Like I sad hands down the best hens you will ever have..

Chris

I've had the best results of all my broodies from the White Rocks. Second to that was my NHRs and BAs. These go broody more often than any in my flock but the WRs are the best mothers by far.

How do people feel about Sebrights as mothers? I found that she protects them with her life if someone tries to disturb them, but she doesn't really help them out with anything.

Everyone has a different opinion of what the best broody is

I find that the standard gamefowl are the best at actually raising, (teaching), and protecting their young. I remember watching a hen take her chicks around the yard in the morning, to drink dew from the leaves. All the other hens had their chicks at the waterers, and the game hen was far from the bottom of the pecking order. The gamefowl just have the how to survive in nature built into them, and they try to teach that to their children.
The bantam gamefowl I find to be just a little to nervous about life. They love to be moms but freak if their chick is three feet away.

My silkies are the most accepting moms. They will take care, and love anything, even if it isn't theirs.

My rocks were not very impressive. One gave up brooding, one tried to kill her chicks, and the other abandoned her chicks after a month.

I have also found my Marans, Crosses, and Brahmas to be great mothers.

Back
Top Bottom