Curled toed hen learned to walk!

jakesterz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I had a chick with the curled toe deformity born back in November. Ive kept her in a box and only haven't culled her because the kids liked watching her grow up. Suddenly out of nowhere shes walking almost normally. Her toes are still wonky but she seems to have figured out how to overcome it.

Iv had them live a normal life with a curled toe. If you have it on wire, watch for a sore that could easily become a bumble foot problem.... The wire is hard on them when they are walking on the side of their toe instead of the pad.... Good luck.....

I too have a chick with curled feet. Her feet were frostbitten and she suffered contractures after they healed. But don't tell Scout - she has no idea she has foot issues! She runs around outside, in the run, in the coop, flies up onto the roost with the others and back down, and I can't catch her most of the time - she's too fast! Hers are bad - way bad. We tried the bandaging routine and we got just a little straightening but we decide we'd take what we get and see how she did. She's now 3 months old and fitting right in the middle of the flock very well.

Scout's feet were really bad.

The bandaging helped a little but when the bandages came off she reverted almost to where she was before.

Don't tell Scout she has a "disability" - she has no clue!

Back
Top Bottom