Curled toes on hen

Rt66Kix

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
St. Louis, MO area
One of my hens was not on the roost bar tonight. She was huddled in a corner far back in the coop. When I went to check on her, I could tell she was leaning to one side. Upon further examination, the toes of her right foot are curled under, almost like she's making a slight fist. She has range of motion of the toes when I manually stretch them out, and the foot feels the same temperature as the left one.

I do not see any signs of bumblefoot. No scratches, swelling, irritations or blood.

I moved her into an unused chicken tractor for the night, so that she could access food and water and feel safe from the rest of the flock. Any ideas? Thank you very much!!!!

One of my hens was not on the roost bar tonight. She was huddled in a corner far back in the coop. When I went to check on her, I could tell she was leaning to one side. Upon further examination, the toes of her right foot are curled under, almost like she's making a slight fist. She has range of motion of the toes when I manually stretch them out, and the foot feels the same temperature as the left one.

I do not see any signs of bumblefoot. No scratches, swelling, irritations or blood.

I moved her into an unused chicken tractor for the night, so that she could access food and water and feel safe from the rest of the flock. Any ideas? Thank you very much!!!!
Do you have a picture or two of her in that condition and of her feet? Is she eating and drinking? Acting normal otherwise?

Do you have a picture or two of her in that condition and of her feet? Is she eating and drinking? Acting normal otherwise?
No pictures because it was dark. I had to use my cellphone flashlight to look at her foot. I'll get better pics in AM.

She felt in good weight, but was not close to the water or food feeders in the coop when I found her. She's in the chicken tractor tonight by herself, and I gently sat her down in between the food and water. She immediately drank. If she stays in the same position, all she has to do is turn her head one way or the other to eat or drink. Thank you for responding!

No pictures because it was dark. I had to use my cellphone flashlight to look at her foot. I'll get better pics in AM.

She felt in good weight, but was not close to the water or food feeders in the coop when I found her. She's in the chicken tractor tonight by herself, and I gently sat her down in between the food and water. She immediately drank. If she stays in the same position, all she has to do is turn her head one way or the other to eat or drink. Thank you for responding!
No problem! Let me know how she’s doing in the am. Background info? Age?

If her foot is paralyzed with the toes curled it could be due to vitamin B2 (aka Riboflavin) deficiency. If that is the case then a few days of supplements may solve the problem.
The good news is vitamin B2 (and the other B vitamins) are very safe and almost impossible to overdose, so giving her some supplements won’t hurt.
You can get them at the pharmacy. I use a regular capsule intended for people and mix in with mash.
Warning it is bright yellow - but it does wash out of clothes etc.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Last edited:
This AM she was bright and alert, eating and drinking. Her right toes were NOT curled under, but she's bearing most of her weight on the left leg. That leg is stretched out in front, and her right leg/foot is under her body like normal.

Since she is leaning sideways on the left leg, which is extended, I'm worried it could be Marek's. I recently had to euthanize a pullet for that.

No signs of damage to the feet, and I can move her legs/feet normally. But she's extended and lopsided 🙄. Shes about 2.5 years old. Not sure of the breed.

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_073706017.jpg
    IMG_20220819_073706017.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom