Curled Toes

Oct 26, 2020
Hi! I take care of a few chicks and one has curled toes on one foot. She was fine a few days ago but now her toes won't uncurl. I band-aided the foot to reposition the toes. How did this happen? Is there anything else I can do? She is 5-6 weeks old.

You could also start riboflavin (vitamin b 2) curled under toes. She could have injured the leg. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she walking on the curled toes or is she lifting the leg when she walks?
I was thinking riboflavin deficiency.

She is in a brooder with very few way to damage it. She is not vaccinated and was hatched under a broody hen. She does both, but mostly lifting.

Hi everybody! We have a new batch of girls this spring, 25 hens from 3 different breeds, and they are about 9 weeks old now. I've just recently noticed several that have curled toes, and it seems to be getting worse by the day... they seem to walk with no trouble or pain, but I feel sure they will not be able to scratch for food (we free range our chickens once they are old enough). And I wonder about their ability to balance, if the toes continue to curl more and more. I see several threads talking about very young chicks and taping up their toes, but my question is - am I too late since they are 9 weeks old? Also, they are all all 4 from the same breed and none of the others have the same issue... is there a way to know the cause? What can I do to help? Thanks in advance for the help! :0)

Back
Top Bottom