Curling foot

okie-chick93

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
i just bought a baby chick and it's starting to have problems with its foot curling. It seemed okay when I got it but when I got it home it was tripping over its foot like its foot was too big for its body... Wasn't curling up until today.... Not its clenching up?! I don't want it to become crippled it's the sweetest baby ever! How can I help it?! It's not bad yet... Just clenching if it's not on it and sometimes trips when it walks but it's getting worse

It's eating chick starter and just grass in the yard. It's not a baby baby, it doesn't have baby fluff or anything. Maybe 6 weeks old.

Do I need to give all of that or just pick beef liver or the vitamins? Would a feed store carry the vitamins? so electrolytes won't help?

Do I need to give all of that or just pick beef liver or the vitamins? Would a feed store carry the vitamins? so electrolytes won't help?

Electrolytes may or may not help. You need to read the label and see if it includes B vitamins and riboflavin in the ingredients. In general, "electrolytes" are minerals and salts, vitamins are different. A mix may include both, but very often is primarily one or the other, i.e. have lots of vitamins and just a tiny bit of electrolytes, or lots of electrolytes and just a tiny bit of vitamins.

Will the chick end up crippled? How long should I give it vitamins? Will they say on the label how much?

Just give one product or food that contains riboflavin (B2.) Most chick vitamins contain electrolytes, and those are safe for a short time. Give the riboflavin for at least 2 weeks. If you do not see improvement, then there may be another problem. Beef liver, plain yogurt, egg, spinsach, almonds all contain riboflavin. but chop anything large.

Will this lead to permanent damage of any kind? The mill was closed today. I'm going tomorrow morning

Back
Top Bottom