Curly Toes Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ggrap, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    HI. I have a chick, one day old, that has really curled toes on one foot. I know I have seen some post with solutions to straightening them out. She is having trouble walking.

Can someone give me some tips? I thought it involved taping them into position or something like that.

Thanks

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I use a band aid. Straighten their toes out and then put a band aid on it to hold them in place a couple of days. [​IMG]

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    This is what I did (Band aid). I had a chick that both feet were curled. Band Aid for 4 days and all is good. The one toe is a little crocked, but the chick is doing fine.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yup, splint the toes. You can use a bandaid, but MoleSkin (you can find it at your pharmacy) is more heavy duty and will put up with all the roughhousing that chicks do.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Place his foot on a bandaid (sticky side up) placing the toes straight as they should be. Put another bandaid on top and make sure it sticks in between the toes. Cut to shape like a shoe. But not in between the toes. Make sure you change it often if it gets too wet or poopy. Do this until the toes remain straight on their own. May take several days or more depending on how crooked they are.

6. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    I think I get it. Does the foot go on the unsticky part of the bandaid?And then you wrap the sticky part around?

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Stick the foot in between to 2 sticky sides and stick the bandaids together. Cut off the excess from the sides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by