Current Internet Theory

Pics
I mostly use the Prince feeds but really liked the Belstra starter.
Given the choice between the Prince and the Purina Game Bird I';d grab the prince every time, notwithstanding Purina's higher crude protein. I take it they are priced at least similarly?

(and yes, I've never seen any of those on local shelves. Never even heard of Belstra)

This is the Kalmbach I have been feeding.
View attachment 3393890

View attachment 3393891
Mill date (22269) is September 26, 2022. Ok, over 4 months old.

I bought 2 5pound bags of Purina Flock Raiser. Its protein, Met, and Lys levels are the same as Kalmbach. (20, .55, and 1.1, respectively)
View attachment 3393895
View attachment 3393907
View attachment 3393897
It's also 7 1/2 months old, milled June 14, 2022. The other bag is a month older, if I'm reading the date codes correctly. (Cringe!)

I'll start my chickens on this tomorrow. This will be the stuff in their bowls and what I use to make their mash snack. Since this stuff is so old, I'm going to use it for one week, and assess how they seem, health-wise. I'm also going to give them "meat snack" (what's left after I make bone broth) on Sunday. They get that about 1x every two weeks, and they're due for that special treat.
Oh my gosh. They didn’t have anything fresher than 7 months?

Instead of changing why don't everyone stay feeding what you're feeding. That would be a more accurate study than changing.
Give it time. I expect someone will soon come out to claim that by "exposing" the problem, the shadowy cabal of "them" was forced to end their devious plan. The people can declare victory, all thanks to the tireless work of the pundit - stay tuned for the next incredible claim they need to warn you about...

Given the choice between the Prince and the Purina Game Bird I';d grab the prince every time, notwithstanding Purina's higher crude protein. I take it they are priced at least similarly?

(and yes, I've never seen any of those on local shelves. Never even heard of Belstra)
I order in my Prince feed from a local feed store fresh each month for many years now and he hasn't raised my price for a long time I get that for $18.95 per 50lbs. But I buy about 2000lbs a month. But he was talking last time in he may have to raise it a bit. Belstra is out of Indiana he gives it to me for same price when he can't get prince but he doesn't like to, so I settle for Prince.

Naturewise Hartley Hen

06CD4635-201B-4778-9E64-74D806764418.png

Cluck n Company chick feed
C3C2DDE4-DD2C-46BD-B480-159BCE0B3D7B.jpeg

Here I've seen small bags of several brands of poultry feeds often very old, as old as 15 months! And it can be really difficult to find mill dates on the little bags, sometime badly printed right on the bags themselves. I do complain at the store, and once in a while it helps. Other times, nobody cares, or I'm told that the feed is fine.
And often old stuff is on the sale shelf too.
Mary

Ok I'm going to show you guys a waaay easier way to look up old nutrition info then digging up old feed tags. Introducing The Wayback Machine! aka archive.org
This site lets you look at any website going back years. A fun way to kill time looking at web pages all the way back to the 90s in some cases.
Just looking for a few minutes but here is the page for Purina Layena Pellets for 5/26/20. Nutrena Naturewise Layer 11/5/18. Dumor Layer 3/19/16
You can probably go back further in time, but website formats and page addresses change over time. These are the oldest pages for the current addresses.

I personally am not having any issues with my birds. They'll be two in April. Two out of three are laying, probably because of my neighbor's fairy lights on their back porch lol. I'll be keeping them as pets even when they're old ladies who don't lay. And I'll know they won't be laying because they're old and not because of any food conspiracy lol.

Back
Top Bottom