Current Internet Theory

Pics
TSC managers have told me they have warehouses. They buy large lots of feed, and it sits in those warehouses until they need to restock. They don't order more until the warehouse is empty. The warehouses are likely not temp controlled. This is why I think I've had so many grain mite issues.
The more product you buy the cheaper it is. They're gonna buy as much for as little as they can

What is neat to watch it the giant catfish that float on the top of the water engorging themselves in the bits of stuff that fall Into the river. Being on a belt about 200 feet above the river you can really see how big they are.

That does sound really cool!

I'd love to see a documentary about it (I was a great fan of the old "How It's Made" series from when the documentary channels actually showed documentaries).

That does sound really cool!

I'd love to see a documentary about it (I was a great fan of the old "How It's Made" series from when the documentary channels actually showed documentaries).
At times I have been on the belts or been on the top of the giant vacuum that vacuums what looks and smells just like brown starter. (The bobcats do the corn, soybean type stuff) out of the barges. Looking down the Mississippi and lines of push boats with 12 or so barges 2 wide 6 deep strapped to them anchored off waiting for their turn to be loaded or off loaded. Or ships from Asian countries anchored off waiting. It's quite an impressive site to see the operation. Nobody sees that part all they see is a bag of feed at a feed store. They don't see the immense work it takes to get there. Other than planned shutdowns those plants run 24 7.

I was thinking of starting a counter conspiracy...

Some of the posters most strongly proponents of this conspiracy have extremely low post counts, and while many signed up for BYC years ago, were never active on the feed forum particularly. One might wonder if some weren't harvested or seeded accounts being operated by a troll farm to influence stock prices and pocket profits from shortselling. Its a way both North Korea and Russia have operated to avoid or blunt economic sanctions. The Chinese, too - though for different motive.

I think it plausible. How about you?

:caf

Sure. Purina’s competitors are doing a full-court press in social media. They might not have started the theory but I’d bet good money they’re now running with it, posing as regular people to report the “problem” and how changing feeds magically fixed it all.

An odd hobby I used to be in was collecting and testing trail cameras. The kind of camera that has motion sensors and activate when an animal walks in front of it. Some people call them camera traps. Back in the day (20 years ago) there weren’t many on the market and the technology was new so there was an online community built around testing them to see which ones were the best. It was pretty normal for representatives of trail camera companies to log into the trail camera forums and pose as users that had a bad experience with their competitor’s camera.

The fake review campaigns back then were primitive compared to what armies of bots and a few well trained operatives can do today.

Always follow the money motive.

You can see all the ships and barges waiting thier turn. This is an adm facility in AMA, Louisiana. All lined up down stream in the curve of the Mississippi and the push boats working the barges you can see on the land side the rail car tracks and cars. On the other side out of view is the 18 wheeler loading side

AdmAma6Copyright2018sized.jpg

At least as plausible as the theory that people who make money by selling feed products that people want to buy are deliberately selling bad feed.
The counter arguement I have heard is because Blackrock (supposedly) owns a egg production company they bought purina and want to stop home flocks from laying so people buy store eggs :caf

I'm pretty positive the profit from feed sales are more than eggs even if you make every home flock owner buy.

This entire episode has really become a phenomenon and a prime example as to how a social media urban legend is born.

Something I’m seeing now is a strong Mandela effect among the proponents that insists this theory has been taking the backyard chicken community by storm since last August. When challenged that this theory didn’t exist until January 2023 thanks to some specific YouTube videos and requested for proof to show such theory being discussed since August 2022, the response is an angry “I know what I’ve been reading since then and I don’t have to prove anything to you.”

I suspect the people claiming they’ve been reading about this since August of last year are sincere but mistaken, with the power of suggestion conflating the typical “why aren’t my hens laying?” posts that happen every year after the summer solstice with this theory, and now that the two are combined there is no separating them in the minds of the believers.
I would 'argue' I had a few egg issues as early as August, but I once again bring up that so many other things were happening with the flock while feed literally hadn't changed for a year at that point, not to mention my feednisnt a 'problem' feed.

I absolutely do not buy into this conspiracy that the men in black are out to spay our chickens through our feed. I still argue that stressed birds do not lay eggs and this year has been quite stressful for a lot of flocks for multiple reasons

At times I have been on the belts or been on the top of the giant vacuum that vacuums what looks and smells just like brown starter. (The bobcats do the corn, soybean type stuff) out of the barges. Looking down the Mississippi and lines of push boats with 12 or so barges 2 wide 6 deep strapped to them anchored off waiting for their turn to be loaded or off loaded. Or ships from Asian countries anchored off waiting. It's quite an impressive site to see the operation. Nobody sees that part all they see is a bag of feed at a feed store. They don't see the immense work it takes to get there. Other than planned shutdowns those plants run 24 7.

I am always amazed and awed at what we are capable of with modern agriculture and logistics.

Cool to see the barges. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have never again lived where barges were in use.

I'm pretty positive the profit from feed sales are more than eggs even if you make every home flock owner buy.

Not to mention that feed sold to backyarders bag by bag is so much more profitable than feed sold to commercial producers by the ton.

Back
Top Bottom