Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

The documentary delves into the demise. Actually, it was bad business decisions that doomed them as they had the chance/option to buy Netflix and could've handily done so.
That is true!

I think they tried an online system later but could not compete with netflix. They should have purchased netflix and used their platform

After having back surgery in march, during my recovery, I've watched A LOT of movies. I've always loved movies and always have an opinion on them! LOL I haven't watched any of the ones you mentioned, but I will probably check them out. Here are a few I've watched recently.

Boss Level with Frank Grillo & Mel Gibson - This is just a really fun movie. Reminiscent of ground hog day and Edge of Tomorrow with a twist of feeling like you're in the middle of an 80's game! The only thing I didn't like about it was the ending... I won't tell you what the ending is though. It's not really a BAD movie like say "Pay it Forward", but it's not the kind of ending I like.

I still Believe - if you want to cry your eyes out, I mean, literally cry and cry and cry... this is the movie for you. Beautiful and tragic love story, with hope and strength. I can't recommend this movie enough. Loved it! And it wasn't the typical "Christian" movie with not so great acting... they were all very good. Done by the same people who did "I can Only imagine" with Dennis Quad. This movie has Gary Sinise who of course is excellent!

Mortal Kombat - Another really fun movie! I love this type of movie, action, a little sci-fantasy, 80's games etc.

We actually went to a movie in a movie theater. :eek: Fully masked as was everyone. We saw "Dream Horse" - based on a real story - funny and poignant representations. We really enjoyed this movie - 4 stars for sure.
I saw the preview for it last night and it looked great!

We saw The Father, which I loved. It's a very cinematic depiction of family and dementia. It's given me a lot of empathy for people with dementia. I'm grateful to have seen it.

The acting was superb, Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman, directing was brilliant too. Even the lighting told part of the story.

The plot is that an elderly gent and his daughter struggle to maintain his quality of life as his mind slowly goes out like a long-burning candle. The reveal is very touching.

It may sound sad, but it's worth it for the deepened respect and understanding it gave me.

Thumbs up!!

We enjoyed "The Father" too. Much easier to follow once you finally realize that it's filmed from the father's perspective and that his mind is like flipping backwards and forwards to chapters in a book. Be forewarned, it's a painful movie to watch if you've had someone close suffer dementia. It nearly gave me PTSD as the patterns are all too familiar.

Speaking of Anthony Hopkins....

The Virtuoso is an interesting study of a wavering assassin who develops a moral conscience which starts to interfere with his work. All is not what it seems and the movie quickly becomes a noir cloak-and-dagger thriller mystery as he's given a rather enigmatic assignment. Kind of like "Fargo" without the humor as it's set in a backwoods small town with quirky denizens.

Directed by Nick Stagliano. Starring Anson Mount, Abbie Cornish, Anthony Hopkins, David Morse. Runs 1 hour and 50 minutes. Out on Redbox.

"The Courier"

If you enjoyed Tom Hanks' "The Bridge of Spies" then you'll enjoy Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Courier." Same feel of panicked espionage that could tragically go wrong, but this time in Moscow during the era of The Bay of Pigs (ca 1961). A true-life spy thriller. Excellent acting.

Directed by Dominic Cooke (On Chesil Beach), runs 1 hour 52 minutes, PG-13. Out on Redbox now.

"The Courier"

If you enjoyed Tom Hanks' "The Bridge of Spies" then you'll enjoy Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Courier." Same feel of panicked espionage that could tragically go wrong, but this time in Moscow during the era of The Bay of Pigs (ca 1961). A true-life spy thriller. Excellent acting.

Directed by Dominic Cooke (On Chesil Beach), runs 1 hour 52 minutes, PG-13. Out on Redbox now.
Thanks for the review!

The Courier is available for rent on Prime video

Back
Top Bottom