Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

Today we saw "1917". I need someone else to see this film. The Princess and I have the same taste in plays and movies, but we are miles apart on this movie. She found it to be tense and exciting. I found it to be boring, contrived, unrealistic. She gives it 3.5 stars - I give it none. :idunno

Sour, brother and I just saw 1917 Sunday morning. He gave it 3.5 stars. I thought it plodded along. I'd say maybe 2.5stars. Actually I kept telling my brother that "Sour really liked this movie." Okay so I am senile and thought you did. Don't mean to tarnish your image.

It was not my favorite and with coming attractions didn't see anything of interest :(.
That really bites when I got a gift card for the theater during the holidays. Kinda like all dressed up and no where to go.

Sad to see "Rocketman" not on the Oscar nominations list. I totally agreed with the Golden Globes award for Best Actor to Taron Egerton.

We watched "Joker" over the weekend and thought it a miserable movie. Neither entertaining nor uplifting, but dreary and nihilistic and lacking any sort of humanity. Joaquin chewed up the scenery, but all other actors extremely wooden. If you have a healthy dislike of clowns (or even if you like them), I cannot recommend this movie. Sad that people are not programmed with an "Unsee" button.

Sad to see "Rocketman" not on the Oscar nominations list. I totally agreed with the Golden Globes award for Best Actor to Taron Egerton.

We watched "Joker" over the weekend and thought it a miserable movie. Neither entertaining nor uplifting, but dreary and nihilistic and lacking any sort of humanity. Joaquin chewed up the scenery, but all other actors extremely wooden. If you have a healthy dislike of clowns (or even if you like them), I cannot recommend this movie. Sad that people are not programmed with an "Unsee" button.
We watched Joker tonight. My SO really liked it but as someone who read the comic books, saw the TV show and watched the movies this did NOT feel right. I've personally dealt with people with the mental illness issues they protrayed in the movie and found it insulting. The joker by the comic standards is an idea of a human being. Inconceivable. Narcissistic, egomaniacal and homicidal. It is not a person you can humanize. The person would be severely mentally ill...much like that of rob zombie's halloween child version of mike myers. They made a character that they could humanize...that is NOT the joker. My SO tried to argue that the joker is an "idea" and that he created others to take his place. This is correct...BUT...someone this weak minded as what is portrayed could not dream of it. He's not a super villian here. Hes not a mentally ill person here. Hes someone that is mad as heck and can't take it anymore. You cant humanize someone who is homicidally mentally ill to the moi polloi. You cannot justify their motivation without understanding their mind. The movie just felt like lazy directing and relying on Joaquin to protray a character that just wasnt developed enough. Awards should go to Peanut Butter Falcon IMO. Best movie I have seen in years

We watched Joker tonight. My SO really liked it but as someone who read the comic books, saw the TV show and watched the movies this did NOT feel right. I've personally dealt with people with the mental illness issues they protrayed in the movie and found it insulting. The joker by the comic standards is an idea of a human being. Inconceivable. Narcissistic, egomaniacal and homicidal. It is not a person you can humanize. The person would be severely mentally ill...much like that of rob zombie's halloween child version of mike myers. They made a character that they could humanize...that is NOT the joker. My SO tried to argue that the joker is an "idea" and that he created others to take his place. This is correct...BUT...someone this weak minded as what is portrayed could not dream of it. He's not a super villian here. Hes not a mentally ill person here. Hes someone that is mad as heck and can't take it anymore. You cant humanize someone who is homicidally mentally ill to the moi polloi. You cannot justify their motivation without understanding their mind. The movie just felt like lazy directing and relying on Joaquin to protray a character that just wasnt developed enough. Awards should go to Peanut Butter Falcon IMO. Best movie I have seen in years
I read in an article that the directors and producers were sneaking in a Character study in the guise of a comic book movie. I bet that is why the movie felt off to a fan of the comic books

I read in an article that the directors and producers were sneaking in a Character study in the guise of a comic book movie. I bet that is why the movie felt off to a fan of the comic books
I watched the special features and it was clear that they made their agenda fall in post. Joaquin did a different joker EVERY TAKE. They picked and chosed what they wanted. It all falls downhill to bad directing. I'm sure that if I had been allowed to see all the cuts I could have made a better movie. Either way Joaquin does not simply protray the anger nor the intelligence of the Joker. He portrays him like a mom and pop store front. It was very disappointing especially since I watched it because I heard about the Academy nominating it for so many awards. It just proves that the budget for the movie is based on how much they have to bribe for a nomination.

Hello film goers!

Last night I went to see Jojo Rabbit with a chum.

Thumbs up!

It's high time someone turned nazi germany into a huge joke while ensuring the travesties are remembered and the victims honoured. A very clever film. Marvellous acting from the children.

At one point I heard chickens without seeing them - might've been my imagination :)

Back
Top Bottom