Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

I watched the Enola Holmes movie yesterday and loved it. For fans of the book, there are a few differences.

Lol... that's a whole lot of spoiler alerts! My kids and I watched Enola Holmes this week, too, and loved it. We also struggle to find films and tv series with strong female protagonists. I didn't know that it was a book series, so will have to check that out. Hopefully there will be a sequel! Thanks for the review.

I watched the Enola Holmes movie yesterday and loved it. For fans of the book, there are a few differences. They aged Enola up to sixteen, gave her a love interest, made her mother part of a feminist group of women who made explosives and practiced martial arts.
So the main plot is Enola Holmes, sister to Sherlock and Mycroft, her mother goes missing on her sixteenth birthday leaving behind cyphers and money for her. Mycroft wants to put her in a finishing school so she runs away and moves to London. On the way, the Marquis of Basilwether has run away from home for an unexplained reason and is hiding in her train carriage. The hired hit man his evil uncle sent after him finds them and they have to jump off of the train and walk to London. After they part ways, Enola searches for her mother. She finds her mother was a member of a group of free-thinking women who make explosives (it never explains what they would want to explode) and practice martial arts. Suddenly, the hired hit man is after her! She explodes her mother's laboratory and escapes. Also, there's this Bill that will be voted on for Women's Reform Stuff in England (never explains what the bill will do) and it must be passed. Fortunately, her friend the Marquis wants to vote to pass it. Unfortunately, the hired hit man wants to stop him from making it. The suspense continues as Enola is pretty much kidnapped by Mycroft and forced to go to the finishing school. Fortunately, the Marquis breaks her out. For some reason, they have to stop by his awesomely huge manor. While they're there, the hired hit man shows up with a firearm of some sort and then there's a great plot twist. Will they escape and pass the Bill?
Apart from Enola's disconcerting habit of breaking the fourth wall frequently, it's a great movie and I really loved it. The book series is awesome as well.
Thanks for the review!

I plan on watching the movie tonight so did not read the spoilers LOL

Lol... that's a whole lot of spoiler alerts! My kids and I watched Enola Holmes this week, too, and loved it. We also struggle to find films and tv series with strong female protagonists. I didn't know that it was a book series, so will have to check that out. Hopefully there will be a sequel! Thanks for the review.
It does sound like a good movie to watch

I watched the Enola Holmes movie yesterday and loved it. For fans of the book, there are a few differences. They aged Enola up to sixteen, gave her a love interest, made her mother part of a feminist group of women who made explosives and practiced martial arts.
So the main plot is Enola Holmes, sister to Sherlock and Mycroft, her mother goes missing on her sixteenth birthday leaving behind cyphers and money for her. Mycroft wants to put her in a finishing school so she runs away and moves to London. On the way, the Marquis of Basilwether has run away from home for an unexplained reason and is hiding in her train carriage. The hired hit man his evil uncle sent after him finds them and they have to jump off of the train and walk to London. After they part ways, Enola searches for her mother. She finds her mother was a member of a group of free-thinking women who make explosives (it never explains what they would want to explode) and practice martial arts. Suddenly, the hired hit man is after her! She explodes her mother's laboratory and escapes. Also, there's this Bill that will be voted on for Women's Reform Stuff in England (never explains what the bill will do) and it must be passed. Fortunately, her friend the Marquis wants to vote to pass it. Unfortunately, the hired hit man wants to stop him from making it. The suspense continues as Enola is pretty much kidnapped by Mycroft and forced to go to the finishing school. Fortunately, the Marquis breaks her out. For some reason, they have to stop by his awesomely huge manor. While they're there, the hired hit man shows up with a firearm of some sort and then there's a great plot twist. Will they escape and pass the Bill?
Apart from Enola's disconcerting habit of breaking the fourth wall frequently, it's a great movie and I really loved it. The book series is awesome as well.
My 12 year old daughter and I are planning to watch Enola Hughes when she is done with school this afternoon! We are really looking forward to it, we love the actress she was also excellent in stranger things!🥰

We'll probably watch it this weekend.

- - -

Last night we watched "50 to 1" which is an oldie but goodie from 2014. It stars Skeetch Ulrich, Christian Kane and William Devane and chronicles the genesis of the alliance that brought the underdog Mine That Bird to the Kentucky Derby and his phenomenal win. The title refers to the odds given the diminutive New Mexican horse in the race. It's a fun and enjoyable family movie (although I'm pretty sure Bob Baffert hates it because it paints him with a rather broad snobby paintbrush and he gets to eat a mega slice of humble pie after the upset where Mine That Bird from a 30-length back-of-the-pack dead last trailing shoots through the pack at the final turn and wins by many lengths.) There's a couple of cowboy brawls and some antagonism as characters iron out their pecking order, and the horse is a hoot. DH, who doesn't particularly like horse, enjoyed the movie and confessed it was far better than he anticipated. Filmed in New Mexico, CA, and Louisville, plus uses a bit of actual footage.

Why?
I won a lot of money betting on Mine That Bird in the 2009 Kentucky Derby. When I went to cash in my tickets, the cashier said "Wow! You did really well." (I'm gathering not many folks bet on him in the Derby.) I thank the horse for funding -- among other things -- the installation of new ceiling fans in our then-home in Las Vegas. Heard the movie was good, wanted to see it, and wasn't disappointed.

Thank you guys for keeping this thread alive. Haven't been to a movie since last January
(Knives Out) my brother and I are oldies and he has major health issues - so afraid to go to shows till a good vaccine is available. IF ever.

I've read the German & UK vaccine is producing some odd side affects and has been stopped for now. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom