Curtains for Stumpy?

e.lolly

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hey everyone,
I've decided it may be time to butcher our Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster Stumpy. He was a free chick from McMurray's Hatchery who is now 4 mos old and just starting to crow. I've never done this before, so I have been researching it like crazy to make sure it is done as humanely as possible, but I am not sure if he is "meaty" enough, even though he has been hogging most of our hen's food! When I feel his breastbone, it seems to be poking out a little more than our Storey's Chicken Guide recommends is acceptable. I'm not sure if it is just his breed, or if I should try to fatten him up a bit first. When I parted his breast feathers and looked at his skin, it was nice and yellow, which my book said indicates he has enough body fat. Any suggestions? I wouldn't want to end his life and have it be all for naught.

from what I have read, there is a growth spurt that happens when the cockerels are adolescent stage and it can take quite a while for them to slow down enough to bulk up again. The goal is to do the deed before they hit the growth spurt for the most economical grain conversion equation.

Funny that you named your GLW roo Stumpy, that's what I named my Buff Orpington, because the mean girls in the coop pecked all his tail feathers out repeatedly when he was younger.

I'm happy I don't have to rename him Stew - his crow is so quiet he isn't bothering anyone. For now.

off him, he is not going to bulk up much in a week or two.. the extra feed you give to him will be wasted.. just my opinion..

.........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom