Cushion Comb Genetics

TimG

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Maine
I have a pullet that is the offspring of two Partridge Chanteclers, she does not have a cushion comb and she has wattles.

It has been a while since I looked into cushion comb genetics, but I seem to recall that it is not completely understood and what is understood indicates that non-cushion combs can creep into a cushion combed flock. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What I'm really interested in is whether the wattles are connected to the cushion comb genetics. All my cushion combed pullets (small sample size of four) have no wattles.

Thanks for any answers.

Tim

Oh, and the 'Smooth' gene is a small modifying gene that, in single combs, decreases the number of tines, in roses, eliminetes the tiny bumps (and the spike), and in Walnuts it does the same - makes it smaller as well, as I understand it.

Cushion is built genetically, like the Walnut, with both Rose and Pea combs, but the Cushion also has the 'Smooth' gene, so:

Walnut = Rose+Pea
Cushion = Rose+Pea+Smooth

Thank you, that is what I remember, though as I recall it the "smooth" part was not exactly 100% determined.

Do you know whether the wattles are affected by the same genes? Or linked?

Back
Top Bottom