Customizing Leg Bands

Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
While my birds already have wing bands (zip style), I want to put leg bands on them as well. Even at 7 weeks, those wing bands are getting hard to read with all the feathers getting in the way.

Right now, I'm looking at the colored aluminum leg bands from Pinnon Hatch or National Band & Tag. I want to add the hatch year to my leg bands for convenience of checking the age of the bird. Since I'm working with so few at a time (my current flock is seven), I can't order them with the year.

Has anyone hand stamped or etched onto aluminum bands? I was looking at the 1/8 inch numbers by Capri for stamping and my husband has a dremel set.

(I plan to use aluminum tags on any future livestock as well)

I just use colored zip ties. Blue = 2020. In my container of zip ties, I have a paper that I've recorded what color is what year.

I'm not familiar with aluminum leg bands. Are they adjustable or do they get replaced as the chicken grows?

Are they adjustable or do they get replaced as the chicken grows?

They are applied once the bird is full grown; the kind I'm looking at is "adjustable" in the sense that you have three diameters to choose from when applying. They are numbered 1 up to 9999, like the wing bands. The number on their leg will match the number on their wing.

I've considered adding a zip tie or one of those spiral bands to have a color difference. I may still do one of those.

I attached images from Pinnon Hatch of the leg band as well as the wing band I use so you can see the numbering.

Attachments

• leg-dim.jpg
    leg-dim.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2
  • zip-dim_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg
    zip-dim_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
I just started using some plastic ones that are different colors and I can if I want put a number on... it is mostly a test right now to see if I like these snap ones... so far they are okay but not sold on them but I can mark them so a plus... I have used the prenumbered kind for showing in the past they worked will but design was different still tending to like the original styled. I do like the idea of color coding for year. I have not used metal leg bands like you shower but was thinking of trying them out.

I just started using some plastic ones that are different colors and I can if I want put a number on... it is mostly a test right now to see if I like these snap ones...

Are you talking about bandettes? I was avoiding those because I read they can fall off, but I suppose that isn't really an issue if I already have a wing band. 🤔

I use 4" zipties with right or left leg for year, then colors for other ID aspects.

Zip ties seem to be a very popular choice. What age do you put them on? I'm new to all of this.

Whatever I do will be done to my mother's chickens, too, because she wants to just keep track of age.

Yes I am testing the bandettes I found at the feed store. They are limited to birds whom legs they fit on.,. So yes some have fallen off certain birds while working perfect on others.... so you do have to size them correctly and even the small maybe too large. So undecided

Last edited:
Zip ties seem to be a very popular choice. What age do you put them on?

I put zip ties on our chickens, for the first time about 10 days ago. I've already removed and replaced them on the 3 Brahma's. We probably could have left them looser, when we first put them on. But, those leg feathers make their true leg size a mystery :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom