Cut on Beak

GentlyLiving

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 20, 2012
I have six chicks about five weeks old and at least three of them have scrapes above their beaks. They don't look bad, just small abrasions. The only thing I can think of is that they keep trying to peck at the grass just outside their run and are scraping their beaks on the hardware cloth. Should I try to clean the scrapes or just leave them be? Also, any ideas how I can get them to stop doing this to themselves?

I know this was a couple of months ago, but did you ever figure out what to do about the cuts? I have five 9 week old chicks and 2 of them have the same kind of cuts you describe. I think it is also from trying to get the grass or anything that might be on the other side of the hardware cloth. I'm worried it could get infected. Did you just leave yours alone or did you treat them? Thanks for any help.

I asked my uncle who also raises chickens and he said just to leave them alone. I did and they are fine. They stopped doing it for the most part, but I think also that they have grown enough that their beaks don't get as far through anymore.

Back
Top Bottom