cut on ducks eye

The reason for the fluoroscein would be to see if it's bacterial, viral, or fungal.
my duck has a cut that appeared yesterday just above her eye she's keeping it closed alot, she can open it but it's closed half the time or half open. any advice?
Never heard of the strips before.

Doesn't sound like they are needed to treat a cut above an eye. Usually with an injury around, about or in the eye, the bird will keep an eye closed. Tending to the eye a couple of times a day until healed, usually is all that's needed.

I'm not finding anywhere that fluorescein strips would tell you about virus, bacteria or fungi. If you can kindly point me to that info, it would be appreciated.

The google machine says this about the strips:

Fluorescein strips are an essential diagnostic tool in eye care. They are useful for performing a number of procedures, such as measuring intraocular pressure, assessing dry eye and detecting corneal abrasions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6253310/

Did you post a picture and I missed it? Do you have any fluorescein strips and saline?
heres the picture. it's a scratch but theirs no other signs of infection or anything except closing her eye sometimes

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_134135.jpg
    IMG_20221117_134135.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 4
For now, what I would suggest to keep her as calm and relaxed as possible. Keep the other ducks away if they're trying to attack or bother her. Also, how bad would you describe the cut?
it's just that red bit above her eye

Attachments

• JPEG_20221117_134430_6347683845455789020.jpg
    JPEG_20221117_134430_6347683845455789020.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 4
Never heard of the strips before.

Doesn't sound like they are needed to treat a cut above an eye. Usually with an injury around, about or in the eye, the bird will keep an eye closed. Tending to the eye a couple of times a day until healed, usually is all that's needed.

I'm not finding anywhere that fluorescein strips would tell you about virus, bacteria or fungi. If you can kindly point me to that info, it would be appreciated.

The google machine says this about the strips:

Fluorescein strips are an essential diagnostic tool in eye care. They are useful for performing a number of procedures, such as measuring intraocular pressure, assessing dry eye and detecting corneal abrasions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6253310/
okay, so should i just leave it alone or clean it with water or salt Water?

It doesn't look really severe, so I think it's going to be fine. For now, I'm going to post this and hope someone with more info comes since I have never seen any of my ducks have this.

okay, so should i just leave it alone or clean it with water or salt Water?
How is her eye?
The cut doesn't look too bad, but I'd keep watch on it.
If you notice any changes or it isn't healing well, then treat it as outlined below. 👇
General care would be to clean the cut and eye with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye and on the cut. If you can't get Terramycin, then you can use Original Neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom