Cut on foot

It should be straight right, not crooked or bent?
Yes. Check for swelling there, as well as bruising, etc. I've had two girls who had basically inexplicable limping until I looked higher - they had sprained, swollen, hot hock joints. One hen had it clear up within days, the other was only eight weeks old when it happened (she was just a baby!) and she worsened. Out of desperation, we took her to a vet, and she got a treatment plan and was prescribed pain meds. She got better too.
There may have been a traumatic injury, and that's why she's limping. Perhaps the issue is not really related to the cut. But it may be.

Yes. Check for swelling there, as well as bruising, etc. I've had two girls who had basically inexplicable limping until I looked higher - they had sprained, swollen, hot hock joints. One hen had it clear up within days, the other was only eight weeks old when it happened (she was just a baby!) and she worsened. Out of desperation, we took her to a vet, and she got a treatment plan and was prescribed pain meds. She got better too.
There may have been a traumatic injury, and that's why she's limping. Perhaps the issue is not really related to the cut. But it may be.
If it is swollen or bruising what should i do just so i’m prepared

If it is swollen or bruising what should i do just so i’m prepared
You can crate her, try to keep her off the leg. How severe is the limp, on a scale of one to ten?
One being there is zero limp, five being she puts only a teeny bit of weight on it, taking hopping steps, and ten being she cant use it at all.

If she's above a 5/6 I'd crate her, but it's up to you.
You can give her some baby aspirin, see if it helps. There are guides here on how to portion that out.
Assuming she's somewhere between a 3 and a 5, personally, I would leave her be, discouraging movement but leaving her with her flock. You can do a warm water soak, or cold compresses (if you can hold her still!).
If she's above a 6, I'd see a vet and/or crate her with soft bedding, food, and water.

There's not much else you can do, because with this, it's not an open injury.
Make sure she's got enough water and food at all times.
Hope she gets better!

You can crate her, try to keep her off the leg. How severe is the limp, on a scale of one to ten?
One being there is zero limp, five being she puts only a teeny bit of weight on it, taking hopping steps, and ten being she cant use it at all.

If she's above a 5/6 I'd crate her, but it's up to you.
You can give her some baby aspirin, see if it helps. There are guides here on how to portion that out.
Assuming she's somewhere between a 3 and a 5, personally, I would leave her be, discouraging movement but leaving her with her flock. You can do a warm water soak, or cold compresses (if you can hold her still!).
If she's above a 6, I'd see a vet and/or crate her with soft bedding, food, and water.

There's not much else you can do, because with this, it's not an open injury.
Make sure she's got enough water and food at all times.
Hope she gets better!

Not sure if this video will help at all, but i would say maybe a 4-5 on the scale. From the videos it looked like she was trying to keep the weight off of it pretty much all day (laying down, lifting her foot) but was still active enough to eat and drink and walk around a little.

I will try a warm bath with some epsom salt tomorrow and see if that helps at all and examine her foot/leg a little more and see if there’s anything that’s alarming, and also take pictures and post them, maybe you or someone else will see something i don’t!

(The chickens are at my boyfriends house and i wasn’t there today so I can’t really give much info on what i know except from the videos from the cameras)

The limp could be part of what caused the cut.
Strain/sprain etc.
It can take weeks for a limp to totally go away.
As long as she eats and drinks enough, just let her be.
Crating (forced rest) is an option I have used a few times.

these are the best pictures i could take of the foot/leg. Nothing looks swollen or bruised or hot to me. I soaked her foot in some warm water and epsom salt

Attachments

• 8F86CAA2-368B-4B39-A323-C87002CC44E3.jpeg
    8F86CAA2-368B-4B39-A323-C87002CC44E3.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 3
  • E8456CE8-99F9-4205-98E4-023B6D82526C.jpeg
    E8456CE8-99F9-4205-98E4-023B6D82526C.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom