Cut on webbed part of foot

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So normally Peep and Nibbler hate water so I have to toss them in the pond and they swim for 10-20 min and come sit in the grass

Today they thought it would be hilarious to come up to the bank like they wanted in, then soon as I got close, dart back into the pond and swim to the middle and sit out there and honk at me. I figured they would come in when the rain started but they still were trying to get me to chase them In the pond

So I went inside for a bid once the rain started. They were out there for a hour having a grand old time. Til I saw peep fly out of the water with Nibbler right behind her. I went out to check and they came right to me and pressed up against my leg. They do this when scared sometimes. I got Nibbler in his bin to bring him in. And when I went to get Peep, normally she makes me chase her but she let me pick her right up. Then I saw the cut on the web of her foot. It’s not very big but it was bleeding a lot. I got her inside and cleaned it as best I could.

I assume as with most cuts just keep it clean and make sure the bleeding stops eventually? Anything in particular I should look out for?

So normally Peep and Nibbler hate water so I have to toss them in the pond and they swim for 10-20 min and come sit in the grass

Today they thought it would be hilarious to come up to the bank like they wanted in, then soon as I got close, dart back into the pond and swim to the middle and sit out there and honk at me. I figured they would come in when the rain started but they still were trying to get me to chase them In the pond

So I went inside for a bid once the rain started. They were out there for a hour having a grand old time. Til I saw peep fly out of the water with Nibbler right behind her. I went out to check and they came right to me and pressed up against my leg. They do this when scared sometimes. I got Nibbler in his bin to bring him in. And when I went to get Peep, normally she makes me chase her but she let me pick her right up. Then I saw the cut on the web of her foot. It’s not very big but it was bleeding a lot. I got her inside and cleaned it as best I could.

I assume as with most cuts just keep it clean and make sure the bleeding stops eventually? Anything in particular I should look out for?
Pics if possible? I have a Pekin who cut it's foot on a stick running thru my yard and it bled for a little bit but I cleaned it and made sure it stopped bleeding and it's fine. Still has just a little hole in web but I assume eventually will close up. This happened about a month and a half ago. I might have a pic not sure if I took any.

Can’t get a great pic cause she won’t stop stomping around

Got her isolated from Nibbler currently as I have hat in the crate they are in when inside. She is in a pen with a blanket and paper towels under her currently

It’s a little nip right next to the middle toe 948DC8A7-2AE5-45A4-B918-28DA04FBD20A.jpeg CE0C2E4D-D8E9-462C-9397-9BA5FCCEF2DA.jpeg 66A3BC23-23F8-4B95-9B9F-95D7AEE7BEFC.jpeg

Can’t get a great pic cause she won’t stop stomping around

Got her isolated from Nibbler currently as I have hat in the crate they are in when inside. She is in a pen with a blanket and paper towels under her currently

It’s a little nip right next to the middle toeView attachment 2184101View attachment 2184102View attachment 2184103
I would do what you can to keep pressure even tho she doesn't like it to make sure the bleeding stops and keep it clean. Could put a little Neosporin on it but make sure it is Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief. Or a regular triple antibiotic or A&D ointment.

Yeah she isnt limping and it doesn’t seem to bother her aside from the bleeding thankfully. I will be less worried once the bleeding stops probably

I would do what you can to keep pressure even tho she doesn't like it to make sure the bleeding stops and keep it clean. Could put a little Neosporin on it but make sure it is Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief. Or a regular triple antibiotic or A&D ointment.

Cool I think I have some of that. Yeah been trying to keep it cleaned off as well as I can. She hates her feet being touched in any way so she is fighting keeping pressure on it heh but working on that too

Until it heals I would not let it go back in the pond. Just too must risk with bacteria etc.

do you think a snapping turtle may have nipped her?
No. I mean it’s possible but I have raked the heck out of that pond and scoured it to make sure there are no turtles. There are very aggressive and large crayfish though. It’s a tiny nip in her web. I saw one the other night cut a beetle in half with its claws. They usually dont come out til night and hang in the middle of the pond in the day. But we have had 90 degree weather for like a week with no rain til today to the water level is low so I think she probably kicked one and it nipped back

But yeah. No pond for her til it heals up.

Back
Top Bottom