Cute/Dumb Quail Thread!

Amazing! Your quail look really happy!
I'll try the fake plants, but will they try to eat them?
The basket is a good idea too.
These babies of mine are mad because their cage is filthy. I knew I was making a mistake of adding 1/4" hardware cloth to the floor when I was installing it.
I'll be ripping in out this weekend. The holes are just too small for poop to fall through.

Ok, I'll stop him from doing it next time. He has lots of hiding spaces and a quiet dust bathing room I barely ever look in.
He is ok, thanks for asking. 👍

There's a whole room for hiding and dust bathing. I know he popped because he was scared, and I know why he was scared.

I thought this quail cage was big compared to most peoples, especially seeing there are only 3 quail in there. Unlike most people, I don't have space to build an outdoor aviary, and this is the best I can do.View attachment 3568228
The dust bath is in the top right, the food, water and shell grit is at the bottom. I have fixed the bottom bit and there is proper wire there now. The shell grit is in a mini feeder now, not a makeshift cup.

Now I'm on the topic of cages, is there any way I could make this cage better for them?
I think the hutch is fine, especially if they use the upper portion.

Do they have a mat or anything to stand on besides the wire?

I get that you have them inside and you do have to consider cleaning and dust, so I can see that using bedding may not be appropriate for indoors. But maybe a box bottom with a few shavings may be a comfy place to rest.

Overall, I say it looks good for 3 Quail and is an attractive hutch too.

I think the hutch is fine, especially if they use the upper portion.
They do, but mainly the bottom part because there's food there. 😂
Do they have a mat or anything to stand on besides the wire?
The second level had a dust bath and no wire.
I get that you have them inside and you do have to consider cleaning and dust, so I can see that using bedding may not be appropriate for indoors. But maybe a box bottom with a few shavings may be a comfy place to rest.
None of the second level is wire, but I'm adding a nice safe cave on the bottom level, maybe with some shavings, idk.
Overall, I say it looks good for 3 Quail and is an attractive hutch too.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom