Cute/Dumb Quail Thread!

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
Hercules the 7 week old quail popping like popcorn. (He did hit his head, he was fine).
tinywow_1000000782_28495697.gif

Sorry about the bad quality, I couldn't upload a file bigger. I had to upload it in GIF as BYC doesn't allow me to upload the videos off my phone šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

If anyone has funny videos of their quail please share šŸ˜

Thanks for sharing a video of what you don't want your Quail to do.

They can really boink their head which can cause neurological symptoms like Wry Neck or damage their neck or spinal cord if they hit hard enough.

Boinking or flushing can be sometimes be avoided by providing hiding spots in their cage/housing, having room to move away to a "safe space" and creating a low stress environment for them.

Having a cage ceiling height that is about 12" or so, often they can't flush up hard enough to do much damage if it's a one time thing, but repeated flushing can.

I've found that while they do like some interaction, you can see some of the warning signs when they are about to flush - sometimes they will take a few short hops then scrunch down really low and tense, they will watch you - if you turn or take your attention away, they often will stop the flush - if you stare or proceed to reach for them - they flush. Flushing is stressful - try to avoid it.

Hercules is cute! I hope he's o.k.!

Sorry....I'm sure this isn't quite the reaction you were hoping for, while popping and hopping can be quite cute when they are a couple of weeks old, these actions should not be intentionally encouraged. It's not too funny when your Quail gets hurt.

Thanks for sharing a video of what you don't want your Quail to do.

They can really boink their head which can cause neurological symptoms like Wry Neck or damage their neck or spinal cord if they hit hard enough.

Boinking or flushing can be sometimes be avoided by providing hiding spots in their cage/housing, having room to move away to a "safe space" and creating a low stress environment for them.

Having a cage ceiling height that is about 12" or so, often they can't flush up hard enough to do much damage if it's a one time thing, but repeated flushing can.

I've found that while they do like some interaction, you can see some of the warning signs when they are about to flush - sometimes they will take a few short hops then scrunch down really low and tense, they will watch you - if you turn or take your attention away, they often will stop the flush - if you stare or proceed to reach for them - they flush. Flushing is stressful - try to avoid it.

Hercules is cute! I hope he's o.k.!

Sorry....I'm sure this isn't quite the reaction you were hoping for, while popping and hopping can be quite cute when they are a couple of weeks old, these actions should not be intentionally encouraged. It's not too funny when your Quail gets hurt.
Ok, I'll stop him from doing it next time. He has lots of hiding spaces and a quiet dust bathing room I barely ever look in.
He is ok, thanks for asking. šŸ‘

This tiny cage doesn't look big enough for one hiding spot.
He's jumping because he's scared.

The feeder you have is quite large. One cup of feed should be enough for one quail for at least a whole day if not two. You could free up a little more room for a hiding spot box if you got rid of the huge feeder and used something much smaller.

This tiny cage doesn't look big enough for one hiding spot.
He's jumping because he's scared.
There's a whole room for hiding and dust bathing. I know he popped because he was scared, and I know why he was scared.

I thought this quail cage was big compared to most peoples, especially seeing there are only 3 quail in there. Unlike most people, I don't have space to build an outdoor aviary, and this is the best I can do.
PXL_20230624_212708454.jpg

The dust bath is in the top right, the food, water and shell grit is at the bottom. I have fixed the bottom bit and there is proper wire there now. The shell grit is in a mini feeder now, not a makeshift cup.

Now I'm on the topic of cages, is there any way I could make this cage better for them?

There's a whole room for hiding and dust bathing. I know he popped because he was scared, and I know why he was scared.

I thought this quail cage was big compared to most peoples, especially seeing there are only 3 quail in there. Unlike most people, I don't have space to build an outdoor aviary, and this is the best I can do.View attachment 3568228
The dust bath is in the top right, the food, water and shell grit is at the bottom. I have fixed the bottom bit and there is proper wire there now.

Now I'm on the topic of cages, is there any way I could make this cage better for them?
Do they actually go up the ramp?

Yes..I would cut a small box cave to put in there...one on each level.

I would also do this.. hold.

I'm going outside to get a video for you!

Fake plants are perfect!
Dollar store baskets to cut up work too.
PXL_20230706_210202473.jpg
PXL_20230706_210143021.jpg
PXL_20230706_210210034.jpg
PXL_20230706_210154638.jpg

Back
Top Bottom