Cute new little predator

Now back to the kitten, LOL. I would deffiently bring him in tonight, or it might end up somethings dinner, get hit by a car, get too cold, starve or wonder off. I'm sure it won't be hard to find a home for it either, if you don't get too attatched first
wink.png

I would love to see your Polish babies too
cool.png

I didn't try to bring it in. I just went to bed. If someone owns it, I wish they would take it inside. Otherwise I will try to get it today and post signs for any takers. I put my ducks and chicks outside anyhow . I guess they will just have to duke it out. I hope it doesn't kill any of my babies while it's wandering loose. May be a little difficult for me to catch an aloof kitten because I am old cat and can't move that fast. I put a can of cat food in my trap to get holds to it. It is so light weight it may not spring the door shut yet.

Oh well, just one of the many vicissitudes of owning animals

A tiny, recently-born kitten is nearly helpless and can die of exposure. It also needs food & water ASAP. You don't sound like you want the kitten, so you need to do the humane thing and take it to someone who will care for it. It will not, in any way, harm your birds at this age. I'll be surprised if it made it through the night left outside alone... If you were in Texas, I would take the poor baby. Please help it.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something but you left a tiny, just recently born kitten laying in your driveway last night and "just went to bed" because you were afraid it would kill your inside parrots??? Are you serious?? If so, let me inform you. A newly born kitten is blind and helpless. If not bottle fed every few hours it will die in hours especially left outside.

Is there any sign of the mama cat, has she shown up to take the kitten or is it still there? Do the humane thing and take the kitten to a vet or the pound or call the local rescue groups - do something - anything but just leave it there. I promise you it is no threat to any of your parrots or your peacocks or chickens. It couldn't possibly become a threat for a long long time till it is much bigger. All four of my cats hang out with my free ranging chicks, chickens, ducks and ducklings and haven't bothered one yet. One cat sleeps with them.

It is absolutely cruel and inhumane to leave it to die there alone.

I have 4 cats, 2 are 1 and a half years old and 2 are about 9 months old. I have been living at this new farm for almost two years and I just started getting my poultry at the end of february so this was a brand new thing for the cats. For the most part I have kept the poultry in the laundry room (the cats stay outside) when they were new chicks and in thier pens after that. About two months ago I finished fencing my front (yard) where the chicken pens are and started letting the chickens out to range in the yard during the day while I watched. I also had some younger bantams in my "Biddy Bungalow" pen that were quite a bit smaller. I was hesistant about letting them out, even thought the cats seemed to have no interest in older larger standard chickens. At first I kept a good eye on them in case one of the cats mistaked them for birds, which two of them did on two seperate occassions, I was there to see their intent and scolded them and put them outside the fence. I have been able to let them all free range in my fenced yard every since with no problem from any of the cats. Also a month ago we rescued a 2 yr old Beagle that was abandoned or lost at the creek. He has fit in perfectly in my yard and coexist beautifully with cats, horses, geese, ducks, chickens, baby chicks, guineas and turkeys.

If you think you have room for the kitten and will grow to love it, I say give it a chance, animals, especially rescued ones, are very sensitive to the wishes and needs of thier new owners. I think it most likely can easily be trained to accept the chickens as part of the family if you accept it.

If you dont really feel that you are a cat person and dont feel like you would bond with the cat, then dont hesitate to find it a new home. Please try to find it a home before taking it to a Pound. This time of year the pounds are Over run with kittens and its chances could be very slim there.

No it was not laying in the driveway, it was running around. When I tried to approach it, it was running at least 20 feet ahead of me much faster than I can move anyways. By 3 am it is way past my bedtime so I had to call it a night.

My neighbor says it was one of her new litter that got loose. I think she let it go personally. She was not outside with me at 3 am searching at all but probably inside comfortably asleep. When I asked her this morning she did not seem the least bit concerned about it. Oh and turns out it is more than a few weeks old, not actually new born.

I will take it on myself though to find her cat and either give it back to her or find it another home since she does not seem to care at all. I may even keep it myself.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If the owner doesnt appear to be concerned the kitten escaped, I would turn it and her into the humane society, she has no buisness owning animals and letting them breed willy nilly and just releasing them.

As for Parrots and cats , the thought is the cat will hurt the bird , not so, I have a friend with 18 rescue cats and 5 big rescue Parrots.
The cat do not bother the birds at all, once a parrot screams at them they hide forever. also the Birds will do more harm and damage to the cat than the cat can do to the birds.
This woman also brought up a Blue and Gold Macaw and a kitten together, hand fed both, they still to this day think they are litter mates, and will spend hours grooming each other.

I just got some cutey pie baby chicks this year, first ever. But I have a very naughty kitty that thinks he is the ultimate preditor. It has been driving him nuts that he can't get in to see those tasty morsels with feathers. So, he has been hanging out on top of the chicken shed...

Look closely he's up there, I couldn't get too close or he would have known he was busted.
12483_100_0958.jpg

I was worried about him catching a baby through the wire, but luckily (for me, not him) he was sauntering up to me when the chickies first went out and tailed the electric cow fence.
ep.gif
He sure can run pretty fast! Well, he is afraid of the chickens now...

I am hoping any other potential preditors might make the same mistake of hitting the nearby fence in their attempt to check out my chicks.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom