Cutting the throat method...?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I have 4 cornish rock broilers who I plan to butcher next week and some freedom rangers in a few more weeks. The rir roosters I've killed before I did by snapping the neck but with these cornishX birds I would like to try cutting the throat by using a kill cone. I'm pretty nervous about this especially after reading stories of people trying to bleed their birds this way but instead get the wrong cut and the bird just hangs there in pain not dying.
I understand cutting the throat is one of the most humane ways but is it a pretty error free way of doing it or does it require more experience?
I've been reading instructions on how to kill them and most just say to do a cut under the jaw but in the videos I've seen, the people tend to do two cuts to the neck. Can anyone tell me what the second cut is for as opposed to just one slice?
I'm a bit nervous I might cut into the windpipe... about how deep should I cut to severe the jugular vein but not get the wind pipe?
Any advise is greatly appreciated :)
Thanks a bunch for any replies :D

I just do one cut.

I grasp the head by the back of the neck, and pull the skin somewhat tight. Then I use a scalpel, and make a cut right under (relative to the bird, which is upside down in the cone) the jaw bone. I don't cut straight across the throat, but more to the side of the neck, at about the same angle as the beak. I don't guess I go more than about a quarter of an inch deep. I rarely get the trachea, but if I do, I don't worry about it too much. It's obvious when you get the jugular, it will make a continuous stream of blood, not drips.

Those knives are so sharp that it's pretty hard to feel cuts, as I know from personal experience. So if I have to use too much pressure or it makes a ragged cut, it's time to sharpen or change the blade. I get about ten birds out of a blade if I'm careful not to hit bone or my cutting board.

It still takes a minute before they're dead, and they do keep moving afterwards. I don't pull them from the cone until that final, vigorous spasm.

Be careful not to get into the kosher butchering (or the Arabic butchering) on UTube on other animals (beef, camels), because it is gruesome but necessary.

Last edited:

cutting the throat is easy, humane, and quick.......have a very sharp knife......pull the feathers down, tight skin and one quick cut will cut the jugular.

You can do it and you will be glad you did.

We actually do kosher slaughtering, which involves cutting both the trachea and the esophagus... in doing this you'll usually cut at least one or more of the vessels in the neck, which kills the bird faster. To avoid missing these structures it's a good idea to pull the neck skin taut but not tight. If you do this, you should be able to see the trachea silhouetted right below the skin, and you should be able to feel the esophagus underneath and slightly to the side of the trachea. The sharper the knife, the more humane the process is. It really isn't very technical, and it's very quick. Good luck.

I just do one cut.
I grasp the head by the back of the neck, and pull the skin somewhat tight. Then I use a scalpel, and make a cut right under (relative to the bird, which is upside down in the cone) the jaw bone. I don't cut straight across the throat, but more to the side of the neck, at about the same angle as the beak. I don't guess I go more than about a quarter of an inch deep. I rarely get the trachea, but if I do, I don't worry about it too much. It's obvious when you get the jugular, it will make a continuous stream of blood, not drips.
Those knives are so sharp that it's pretty hard to feel cuts, as I know from personal experience. So if I have to use too much pressure or it makes a ragged cut, it's time to sharpen or change the blade. I get about ten birds out of a blade if I'm careful not to hit bone or my cutting board.
It still takes a minute before they're dead, and they do keep moving afterwards. I don't pull them from the cone until that final, vigorous spasm.

X2, but I prefer to push in with a double-edged sticking knife vs. cutting across. Push in, twist, remove, watch for continuous stream, repeat if necessary.

From my blog:

This is where I cut and how I hold. I don't have a cone, so they hang by a "noose" around their legs.I "scruff" the neck, not hard, but snug - they can still breath, but hanging upside down they just zone out. I just make a quick slice with the scalpel right where it's positioned, and that's that. I've found I prefer to hold the wings to the body as they pass away, because the muscle spasms from death can and will cause them to flap hard and possibly damage their wings. I think it's nicer for them too to be held and contained as they pass.

Back
Top Bottom