Cutting up chickens at butchering time?

I have an extra fridge. So I did plug it in and cooled the birds in that. The fridge was empty, so we could get them in there on shelves. This was after we had butchered, gutted, and washed twice in cold water.

It worked for my set up. Not sure if it was better or not.

I am a single person. I will be processing, with help, 8 broilers in 2-3 weeks. I figure 3 birds I'll freeze up as whole birds for when I have guests, but the rest will be in pieces. (AND NO, I cannot STAND chicken breast in salads, that will be dark meat...) I am glad I discovered sous vide so I can cook chicken breast to edible temperatures, rather than having to overcook the exterior so the interior is safe to eat!

So, anyhow, there will be parts. And I will save the hearts/gizzards together, and feet together, and livers for future pate together.

I did 8 today! This helped Sooooooo much!!! I was able to do 8 birds in 2 hours by myself. The 3 hours if you count set up and clean up!
A399877B-197B-40CA-908D-F0707D9BBD94.jpeg

I always rest mine in the fridge, and not in ice water. They taste like yardbird to me, dunno if there's any difference. Someone posted awhile back that cooling slower vs using ice water helps rigor pass sooner. I can't imagine the taste would be affected much though.

Back
Top Bottom