Which chicken cut is most profitable (on a per pound basis)?

warnergt

Hatching
Jan 4, 2024
I know that chicken breasts bring in the most overall dollars in terms of chicken cuts. However, on a "per pound" basis, they are pretty inexpensive. Wings cost about 50% more per pound even with the bones.
What drives this extra cost? More processing? Bigger demand?

I know there was a wing shortage a year or two back. Was there also a breast shortage at the same time? Because I don't remember seeing that.

You can do such more with chicken breast, and proportionately, there's much more breast than wings. chicken wings and legs, have limited, but specific use.
Nobody says "Let's go to that chickens breast place" or I ordered chicken thighs from Tony's. "

This is an interesting topic I would like some more input on. We are planning on raising some broilers and typically the end product is "whole packaged chicken." But if cut up and sold as wings, breast, leg quarters etc. is more marketable, I love to hear about it.

I looked at Klutch's chart. Sort of.

I think there is a reason chicken parts are sold off. There is a reason that wings cost more per pound. People will pay more for wings. I like the wings. I'd eat only wings. But, I won't spend the money.

If you are planning on selling from your farm, ask people what they want. What people will buy can vary quite a bit area to area. I would want something like wings to be paid for ahead of time because a) you won't be stuck with them, and b) it makes them appear more valuable.

You may find that while people will buy wings from the grocery store, they won't pay the higher price from pastured poultry.

Back
Top Bottom