Cuttings from honeysuckle and roses

If you are having to remove the honeysuckle altogether from this pine tree, why not dig it up and move the whole plant. (this just occurred to me! ) :oops:
I was hoping to do that but the tree is covered with dead vines and live vines. There are multiple different types of vines...I can't tell which is the honeysuckle at the base. The tree only had dormant vines when we bought the house...we had no idea what they were. If I can figure out which is the honeysuckle, I will try to just transplant it. I wanted to do cuttings just in case it doesn't work. Thank you for the directions!

I've successfully grown new plants from cuttings of Japanese honeysuckle and roses without any special measures. I had to trim the plants last year and I just took a handful of cuttings and stuck them into flowerpots with damp earth. No rooting hormone or anything. The honeysuckle took on very well. The rose cuttings had a 50% survival rate.
Maybe try both - take some cuttings and try to transplant the whole plant. That way chances are higher that one or the other will work.

It has been raining nonstop so I haven't been able to get cuttings from either the rose or the honeysuckle. I will be going out of state this week so I will have to do it when I get back.

So I can finally update on this. I did an experiment, forgoing the rooting hormone all together. I took cuttings from honeysuckle and hydrangea. I put one set in soil and one set in just water. The soil ones died. The ones in water both rooted and are now doing well in pots with soil!

Here are the results of the cuttings. The honeysuckle definitely took longer .

Attachments

• 15379955413621240921207.jpg
    15379955413621240921207.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1537995558402291029360.jpg
    1537995558402291029360.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 2
They look great! You should have some lovely plants for your garden in the spring. :love

My hydrangeas are gorgeous, but I wanted some in the front, so I am super excited. I will take more cuttings from them.

I want to plant the honeysuckle by our back deck, so they can grow on the lattice. I also want some as edging for the property near the woods

Back
Top Bottom