Cuttlebone as source of calcium for hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SillyChick, Feb 21, 2008.

1. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hello

Although my hens aren't going to lay yet(but very soon!), I was curious; are there other sources of calcium for chickens instead of crushed oyster shells, egg shells and limestone? I heard of this cuttlebone that is used to supplement other pet birds like parrots(and even crabs) with calcium and minerals; there's lots of them here. Can I use them, or is it dangerous? Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I was told from someone on here the unflavored one are a goood source of calcium [​IMG]

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    so would you crush it up??

i can get those pretty easy at wal*mart and they are pretty cheap

Julie

4. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Hi SilkyChick,
    i recently wandered the same thing. After i tossed a whole slice o' bread in my coop (once) and watched the girsl fight furiously over it, i surmised that they would most likely do the same thing over a cuttle bone.
    I figgured i'd jist stick with the crushed shells and avoid any injury to my girls.

5. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Could you fix a couple to the walls so they can peck at them but not move them around? My parrots love to throw them and back a huge racket!

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  7. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I used to keep birds indoors and they like the bones but they were small birds. You are talking about chickens, look at their beaks they will tear those things apart.

My humble opinion is why spend the money when you have a free source of calcium available. Unless you have an excess of cash why? I am not poor but I don't go out of my way to spend money I don't have to.

If you want to spend money buy them greens at the store. [​IMG]

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    they won't eat the cuttle bones but quail will. u can use powdered milk and mix in with the feed also.

9. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Thanks to all for the replies!

Hmmm.......Yes, I suppose they will go crazy on the cuttlebone. I think I'm going to stick with eggshells. Thanks!

Powdered milk? I heard chickens are lactose-intolerant. Yogurt might suffice! But still thanks for the reply.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by