CX are pretty tough, what am I doing wrong???

Rapptors

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 12, 2011
I am not sure if what I am doing is wrong or if my expectations are off?

We've had a couple mishaps along the way, one bird survived a hawk attack but had a gash on its back and the other just went splay legged. They were 2.8 & 4 lbs respectively. Slaughtered them in a cone-type contraption and rested in the fridge for two days just about to the hour.

Roasted both in the oven. The first, the hawk survivor, was really tough but I attribute that to poor baking on my behalf. I was going to grill it but I was out of gas so I threw it in the oven and cooked it extra long because I was nervous about the injury. The second one was roasted at a higher temperature for a much briefer time but it was still tough.

I have roasted commercial birds and they aren't tough.

I am thinking a couple things:

-Perhaps we need a cone, not a milk container. Maybe they're not being held "completely" enough while they bleed out.

-Longer resting time.

-Too high of expectations.

These birds are free ranging and anyone that says Cornish Cross just sit there has not met our birds. They are all over the place, they like to wander down to the pond for a drink and spread out across the yard pretty far. The dog does a bit of chicken chasing when she gets a chance and they do have to dodge the hawk every now and then. very hawk! They get locked up in their tractors at night. I am wondering if they need to be contained a little better to be more tender? I am not sure if I could accept that trade off though, I am not so keen on the thought of keeping them penned up.

What is the expert consensus?

Thanks,
Ali

edited to add:

I think they were both roos, I know the first one was but my daughter (the slaughterer) didn't take note if the second one was and we weren't home to see.

Also, I don't watch the slaughtering, she is going in the mouth to cut it because that is how she was taught in 4H. I hate to admit this but I don't watch or participate in the process. Could it be they're dying too slow? They are definitely bleeding out, the bird is blood free when I cook it.

AND AND AND.... why is the skin more goosebumpy than a store bought bird?

Last edited:
Hiya
smile.png

How old were they? Are you certain they were CX's?

I am certain they were CX's, the age was likely 5 wks and 7-8 wks I think? I am not sure on the age, that's about right from their dressed weight isn't it?

What temp were you roasting yours at? I know sometimes roasting chicken too high of a temp, or too long will cause toughness. When I roast mine I do a beer can chicken in the oven. I cook at 350 with an aluminum tent just so it cover the top of the breast for an hour. Then I bump up the heat to 400 for the last 1/2 hour without the tent to crisp the skin. I do let the chicken thaw in the fridge for 2 days and it comes tender and juicy! Just talking about it makes me hungry!!!!!

If you're acustom to store chicken, homegrown ones are going to seem tougher until you get used to how chicken is supposed to be. Using a cone is not going to make any difference. Resting another day or 2 will help. I have found 4 days resting is what I prefer.

Quote:
X2 along with resting for some longer times I use a brine bath while aging and find this to make a world of difference. I think you had a couple of missteps in your cooking process. With a few more attempts and carefull attention to details in the kitchen should provide you with a much better table bird.

So I can see resting a bird or two in the fridge. However, when butchering a group, is there anything that should be done? Or does the slow thawing of the chicken later (after being stuck in the chest freezer) accomplish this resting?

Store bought chicken has water added. That makes the meat soggy which I suppose gets interpreted as tender.

Your home raised birds contains more meat in the same space.

Back
Top Bottom