CX density in tractors

Quote:
Jeff,

Now I'm not calling you out or anything like that, I'm just collecting information about something that I don't yet have an opinion on. But...

These are the types of numbers that I see in posts that confuse me. 8x16 tractor (128 square feet right?) With your minimum range of birds you are less that 2 sq. feet right off the bat. At your max you're at only 1.28 sq feet per bird, yet you say 2-3 sq feet is good. Again, I'm not trying to say anything about how you do it, I'm just trying to get a real-world grasp on what works. If that works, great! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I am all for maximizing production with minimized space, and frankly I won't be able to move a tractor 2 to 3 times a day. What I don't want is a tractor so full that the birds are soiling each other as much as the ground. With the footprint of one of those birds being 1sq foot or more just standing around, I find it hard to think that 1.5 sq feet per bird up until harvesting is enough. Granted I know I can do it however I want to, and ultimately I will, but again, I'm just asking all the BYCers that tractor their CXs to speak up and list their densities.

It's all good... however I move my tractors minimum three times a day which is why I'm able to do so many... also I process mine when they hit 5 pounds live weight. Most people shoot for dressed weights that big. These work for me because I work on the farm 24/7 and I'm able to do it. However realistically it's not possible to move the pens once a day... for most people... which is why I said 2-3 square feet is best. Like BigRed said... the more birds the faster they grow. It's a commercial concept but on pasture. However there is plenty of room, it's not like they are on top of each other. I need to take some pics today and I can take a pic of the two tractors that I have with 85 birds in them at full grown. We will be processing them on Friday.

Quote:
I agree 100%. Had we just been talking in person, I wouldn't have jumped your stuff like I did. I really feel bad.

Bah. Again, don't worry about it. It's already forgotten.

Here is a pic from last year of mine. I think this was taken when the birds where 6-7 weeks old. This tractor is 6'x10'.

16513_meaties_002.jpg

16513_meaties_003.jpg

Quote:
So thats at that 1.5 density you mentioned? Looks like they only take up about .5 sq feet each at that age. You're right... plenty of room.

Do you also dress out at about 6 weeks instead of waiting for 8? I was considering this as well because of the increased feed consumption over those last two weeks. Any thoughts on that subject?

Last edited:
Quote:
So thats at that 1.5 density you mentioned? Looks like they only take up about .5 sq feet each at that age. You're right... plenty of room.

Do you also dress out at about 6 weeks instead of waiting for 8? I was considering this as well because of the increased feed consumption over those last two weeks. Any thoughts on that subject?

If I remember correctly, there was about 40 of them in that batch, maybe a few less. Last year I processed at 8 weeks and averaged 5-5 1/2 pound dressed birds. Last year I did not have a hay/clover pasture, I just ran them in my yard. With not much vegatation available, they really put down the feed. This year, out on an actual pasture, I haven't been able to achieve that high of an average as they absolutely love the clover out there. They fight to get to the front of the tractor when I move it to get to the uneaten clover. In less than 2 hours, they have the majority of it eaten. With eating so much folage that has less protein than grain feed, they are running much smaller in the same amount of time. They have been averaging around 3-4 1/2 pounds dressed. I guess that's good and bad. It's good that they are eating all that green, as it has produced healthier chickens with more vitamins in the meat, and my feed convertion rate has dropped a good bit. It's bad because it would take 10 weeks to reach last years average. Luckily, my customers are wanting smaller birds, so that works out great. I have always gotten straight run chicks, and the pullets are always the 3 - 3 1/2 pounders. I have a batch coming tomorrow that is all cockerals. It will be interesting to see what the average weight will be and how long it takes. With Summer upon us now, the pasture will likely thin due to lack of rain, so this batch may not have as much folage available. It's hard to predict what the outcome will be with so many variables. I have noticed broilers eat less when it's hot, so that will also be a factor.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom