CX final stats, weights/costs, and notes.

naillikwj82

Songster
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Chicken Results for batch Started Oct 27, 2011. Completed Dec.20, 2011

BRIEF SUMMARY:
We started Oct 27, 2011 with 25 CX chicks, ordered cockerals from McMurray Hatchery. Feed was available 24/7 (see log for protein levels). We spent two days processing 20 birds, with one bird done earlier. Processing was done on days 54, and 55 of the project. Our decision to process at day 55 was prompted by daily deaths. (we were hopeful for 10 - 12 weeks)

We weighed 5 random birds every seven days. Growth results were amazing to us, as follows:
Day Average Wt.
1 1 oz Oct 27, 2011
7 4.35 oz
14 12 oz
21 1# 7 ¾ oz
28 2# 13 oz
35 4# 8 oz
42 6# 8 oz
49 8# 1 oz
56 ON ICE

HARVEST INFO:
Day # Birds Dressed Wt. range Dressed weight comment
51 1 5#1 5#1 w/feet
54 7 6#11 – 7#13 51.# “
55 13 5#3 – 7#12 93.5# “

PROCESSED TOTAL:
# Bird Wt. dressed Total Wt. Avg.
21 5#2 to 7#13 149.5# 7#2

hearts, gizzard, and liver not included in the weights.

LOSS INFO:
Day weight Comment
34 2#8 one bird
53 7# one bird, died during the night
54 9#8 “
55 9# “

NUMBERS:

Total feed used was 475 pounds.
Statistic for this run was 2.82 pounds of feed per 1 pound of dressed chicken. (the three late deaths are calculated into the feed conversion)

Expense for raising birds taken from expense log for chicks, feed, bedding, and a replacement brooder bulb was 299.31 less 34.67 for 100# left over feed to equal $264.64
Average price for each bird: 12.60
Average price per pound: 1.81

Notes:
Feed was 20% flock started for the first 150 pounds, 18% for the next 200, and 20% for the last 100 pounds.
We did our own processing, and hand plucking.
The 3 birds of 5#’s were pullets.
If the 3 late deaths are calculated into the overall, the final costs would be as follows,
24 birds, 168 pounds, $11.02 per bird, $1.58 per pound.
We had them mixed with 11 RIR’s to keep them active. Of the RIR's we lost 3, one early, and 2 to Ricki Raccoon who is no longer a problem.

Overall we were quite satisfied with this outcome. This was done not for the purpose of saving money, because our time was not included in our costs, but becuase we felt that the final product would be better than store bought. It is indeed better.

Thank you for such great statistics. I always enjoy reading about others experience. Glad they taste better cause I can't wait, I have 6 more weeks to go.

Nice job. With the birds, and with collecting and reporting the data.

'Preciate the info. If things ever calm down around here, I'd like to collect data on one of my flocks for comparison.

Very nice! Thanks for the numbers...if I looked at it right, looks like each bird consumed 19# of feed.

Some how doesn't seem as worth it at that cost! Sheesh! And here I am gearing up to do it again.. I think I'm going to stick my head in the sand and act like I didn't really see 1.81 per a lb. I know for organic chicken it is quiet the deal, but for people living on a budget raising a ton of kids and going to college.. OUCH.. Oh well I'm going back to a the sand and sticking my head in it..

Christal

I do not know how to get the quote thing to work but I gasped on the 1.81 a pound as well. I can not tell you how much I appreciate all this info. thank you so much for posting it. we are on a very strict budget as we are trying to keep the farm it is small but we want to get self suffient. I have gotten draper valley chicken and it is very good. now I have some health issues and I wonder, I feel beter if we eat organic so that is why I want to do it. so do you think there is any way to trim the cost any ideas. good job on ricky the racoon .......

what if we were to raise dual purpose like maybe cooper maran I have broodies and they hatch and care for the babies and we could do in the roo's and the extras we don't want. do you think that would be cheaper? just brain storming. I must say the Cornish have such a great breast and they are just so yummy but stretching that dolor is so important these days.

OMG That seems very excessive per pound, I was thinking about doing this next year but at that price I'll stick with my Heritage roo's. At 20 weeks I didn't spend that kinda money on all 43 of them....including my hens... WOW,
AN though a few roo's were a tad scrawny 4.5 and 5 lbs most weighed out 6lbs or better..........the best sized meated chickens were my Barred and white Rocks, followed by my Buff Orpingtons.

An 8 week old bird @ #7lb on 19lbs of feed.
Or a 20 week 5-6 lb roo on (how much feed?
You could save some money by not buying bedding and shopping for cheaper hatcheries. Either way the birds are eating feed. And that costs money.

1. Our feed costs are high 17.30 per 50 pounds, and we can't change that.
2. We are changing chick supplier and will save 1.17 per chick.
3. Bedding costs will also be reduced because the next batch will be in the tractor sooner.
4. We anticipate processing by day 50 in hopes of avoiding the late term heart attacks. instead of losing those extra 20 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom