CX final stats, weights/costs, and notes.

I didn't keep track of feed costs, per say we used meat bird feed after 4 weeks for our roo's and I went thru around a 50 lb bag in 6 weeks, at 14.00 a bag so I spent right around
42.00 on feed plus scratch that was mixed by me for all of them at about 37.00 per 150 lbs ( Boss and Cracked Corn) foxtail millet that I grew myself, and extra eggs the girls laid me. a couple times a week, that lasted all through the summer till just last month, but the boys only ate on it till butcher at 20 weeks so not sure of total for just them, but even if I fed it all to them my total feed cost for all boys plus my layers would be less than 100 bucks. for 20 weeks plus......

Sorry, gang, but you will never raise meat or eggs for cheaper than the big agri-business guys can do it. They have economies of scale and you are buying everything retail.

I raise my own meat, eggs, and fruit because of better quality. I also enjoy the process. It's a hobby. I am well aware that I am not saving any money. Over my lifetime, I'll not raise enough food to even pay for all the fencing I had to put in to keep the local wildlife from enjoying my work.

The local Safeway had good quality whole chickens on sale a couple of months ago for 70 cents a pound. No way I can get even close to that price, even if I am not counting feeders, fencing, electricity for the brooders, waterers, water bill, and my time.

I also agree, but I really think that things should be cheaper, that's a very expensive chicken dinner, for that price per pound they should stuff and cook themselves... hehehehe
I always look at it this way, at least I know what they were fed, and that they were not given anything I don';t want to eat.........like antibiotics, growth hormones ect.
I can also get down to the bones without getting grossed out by all the black looking crap in and on the bones because they were not bled out properly. That's the thing I hate most. also they were not soaked in bleach to kill bacteria before being flash frozen...... I guess even the 11 bucks a pound is worth all that. I will not raise the CX though they just eat too darn much to be worth it, my heritage roo's are not supper chunky and lacking in breast meat but they sure are delicious, and 1 makes a good meal for 3 healthy eaters. So people that's just my opinion, and everyone is surely entitled to there own, because in this chicken business..... everyone has there own idea's as to what they will and won't do.......... OP ...... Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and keeping track of some numbers, at least this will give some people an idea of what they are getting into when raising CX. TY Kim

I am right with the last three postings. You really can't compete with economy of scale. But you DO get what you pay for.
naillikwj82---I'm in western Washington area too, and my numbers came out pretty similar, and I think if people were really honest with themselves they might find the same......apparently though, the chicken tastes too good to really be concerned with the numbers
wink.png

If you want cheaper....try rabbits....I do that too. Much less labor, a well set up system is a lot cleaner, and processing is way easier.....once you get past the cute wiggly nose thing.

naillikwj82 thanks for the info. I posted earlier today that I'm up to about $10/bird in feed alone. I am raising 26 dual purpose birds that are 7 months old. This is my first experience and I am enjoying it but was a little set back by the expense. I hope to sell eggs to help offset the feed bill. I am getting way more eggs than we can eat anyway. I wish I would have documented better. I guess I could just start from here.

Back
Top Bottom