Cyst like liver/ blue lungs

Rainbow Chicken Girl

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
My 6 month old pullet died today. She was fine till yesterday and then started acting not well. I isolated her from the flock but she continued to get worse. She stopped eating and then died.
We autopsied her and discovered a liver that looks like it has cysts or parasites and her lungs appeared blue.
Anyone know what happened to her? Is it contagious? Should I be concerned? I’m worried about eating eggs (once my chickens start producing) from sick birds.
Pictures of lungs and liver attached.

Attachments

• 566D518F-C142-40F4-8921-B7310F6558AF.jpeg
    566D518F-C142-40F4-8921-B7310F6558AF.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 4
  • D05B79C7-010A-40E5-8342-E2761ABB325B.jpeg
    D05B79C7-010A-40E5-8342-E2761ABB325B.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 1
  • E66F6579-9577-42CE-A411-B894A74FDD49.jpeg
    E66F6579-9577-42CE-A411-B894A74FDD49.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 86D9E2B4-91CA-4FB4-AAC2-571A33B4BE52.jpeg
    86D9E2B4-91CA-4FB4-AAC2-571A33B4BE52.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 1
Are you in the United States?
If so are aware that each state has a state lab that will perform a necropsy to give you a definitive answer as to why your bird died?

Did you happen to notice if this bird started walking funny before it died?
Are all of your birds the same age?
When was the last / most recent time you brought any new birds home?

Are you in the United States?
If so are aware that each state has a state lab that will perform a necropsy to give you a definitive answer as to why your bird died?

Did you happen to notice if this bird started walking funny before it died?
Are all of your birds the same age?
When was the last / most recent time you brought any new birds home?
Yes, I’m in the US. I wasn’t aware of the state lab. I’d love to know more about this. I composted the organs yesterday because I can’t find a chicken vet anywhere. Everyone told me to harvest the bird or take care of it myself when I asked around.
This bird was walking fine until the day before she died, where she just wanted to sit. But, I have another bird that got a paralyzed leg about a month ago. And I noticed another bird is starting to limp. I’m now thinking its Marek’s.
Interestingly enough, my birds had one and only vaccine- for Marek’s. They are all about 5-6 months in age. All birds were brought home together from the farm I bought them at.
We had a few hot days and I put a mister on the run area of the coop. But I’m hearing now that wet soil can cause the coccidosis parsite to be problematic?

Yes, I’m in the US. I wasn’t aware of the state lab. I’d love to know more about this. I composted the organs yesterday because I can’t find a chicken vet anywhere. Everyone told me to harvest the bird or take care of it myself when I asked around.
This bird was walking fine until the day before she died, where she just wanted to sit. But, I have another bird that got a paralyzed leg about a month ago. And I noticed another bird is starting to limp. I’m now thinking its Marek’s.
Interestingly enough, my birds had one and only vaccine- for Marek’s. They are all about 5-6 months in age. All birds were brought home together from the farm I bought them at.
We had a few hot days and I put a mister on the run area of the coop. But I’m hearing now that wet soil can cause the coccidosis parsite to be problematic?
Birds were about 3-4 months when I got them.

Back
Top Bottom