D’uccle and Cochin bantam ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amydls, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    With so many chicks advertised falsely this year now I’m starting to look at a few and really wonder... these two were sold as a d’uccle (darker of the two) and a Cochin bantam... I know little about either breeds. Just shy of 3 weeks old... little d’uccle is looking as I expected but from comparing pictures of Cochin chicks at this age, I’d expect this little chick to be far more feathered by now. Any ideas ?

Praying for a miracle and hoping these are pullets - I kind of love the “d’uccle”

Attached Files:

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Don't know about what breeds they are, but after a quick google search, I don't think that feathering speed is part of the Cochin breed requirement.

He (and I am guessing he. Males are usually the slowest to feather out) might just be a slow-feathering cochin. In any case, I can't think of what else he could be.

3. sue25

sue25 Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    D'uccle grow slowly they don't feather out till about 6 to 8 weeks the cochen is a slow grower too my cochen d'uccle mix chick is 8 weeks and feathered out just recently.she looks cochen but is the size of my d'uccle s. Very cute and friendly. Edited for spelling. Here is a 10 wk old chick just feathered out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Amydls likes this.
  4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    One thing I can say about those pictures, The cochins aren't well bred. The outside of a cochin's middle toe is supposed to be fully feathered. You can see most of the black Cochin's middle toe. You'll be able to see the extent of the foot feathering in the chick down.

And in my experience, cochins (at least the Large fowl ones I have) are slow feathering.

Amydls and sylviethecochin like this.
  5. sue25

sue25 Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    IMG_20180321_121520890.jpg

Amydls likes this.
  6. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    Thanks all ! I will post more photos in 2 weeks and see if there’s much change !

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The lighter one is Porcelain d'Uccle. The darker is a Silver Laced Cochin. To young to sex accurately as of now.

Amydls and Cyprus like this.
  8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    1. Porcelain D'uccle
    2. Silver Laced Cochin
    Please post pics of their combs at six weeks, for gender.

Amydls and Cyprus like this.
  9. Amydls

Amydls Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    A few weeks have past, I was worrying that my Cochin was a roo but now I’m not sure... compared to my other Cochin chicks who already have large combs and wattles showing at 2 weeks old. Any thoughts ?? This chick is just over 6 weeks old now. Many thanks

Attached Files:

Alexandra33 likes this.
  10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Agree, Silver Laced Cochin and Porcelain d'Uccle. :)
    I'm pretty sure my Cochin cockerels had larger/redder comb and wattles at 6 weeks, but don't hold me to it. Is the plumage patchy around the shoulder area? This is often a good indicator of gender for laced birds. :D

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: