Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Thank you all so much for the replys I would love to breed from them if possible and then add more as we get more area ready for them just not sure which to pair up with each other for firstly pure breed then just lovely colour from the rest we also have a male and female white.

Thank you all so much for the replys I would love to breed from them if possible and then add more as we get more area ready for them just not sure which to pair up with each other for firstly pure breed then just lovely colour from the rest we also have a male and female white.

Well, it's best to keep the whites to themselves, since white is recessive. Aside from that, it's good to keep all the mallard-based colors, like gray, blue fawn, pastel, snowy, etc together and then all the extended black colors like, well, black, blue, silver, chocolate, etc together. So that might get you started on deciding your pairings :)

@Pyxis grouped like maybe each of these pics?
wp_ss_20180503_0002 (2).png wp_ss_20180503_0003 (2).png wp_ss_20180503_0004 (2).png

Sort of :) I personally wouldn't be putting the pied ones in with the whites, since those are just colors with the runner gene added and not really whites. What I would probably do is keep the snowies together, keep the chocolates together, keep the other extended blacks together, and keep the other mallard based colors together.

So if I had these exact ducks in question, my group one would be the gray pied drake, the pastel drake, the blue fawn female, and the light phase pied female.

Group two would be the gray drake, since there is no snowy drake, and then the two snowy females.

Next group would be chocolate ancona drake and chocolate magpie female, to keep the chocolates separate.

Finally, for the last group I would do the two black magpie drakes, the blue magpie drake, and the silver bibbed female. But, that is of course too many drakes for her, so I would consider selling two of them, or keeping two of them as bachelors.

And of course the white pair separate too.

Thank you so much for all the help it's been fantastic I didn't know where to start and didn't realise they came in so many colours so it's been a massive help, and as a bonus I need to get more females to go with the black and white drakes so now I can get more as I could never sell any of them they are all just too beautiful.

I want to get into show quality but i have some questions. In order to keep the colors true to the breed, i have to keep the pairs separate, correct? If so, how do you guys do it economically ? Also, with show quality, are hens better at hatching or is incubating with assistance during hatching more effective ?

In order to keep the colors true to the breed, i have to keep the pairs separate, correct?

Depends on what colors you're breeding. Some, like grey, blue fawn, and pastel can all be bred together. Others, like white, you don't want to mix other colors with. Generally you don't want to mix anything recessive with anything else.

If so, how do you guys do it economically ?

A lot of Call breeders build raised breeding pens for their Calls, and keep pairs, trios or quads in each pen.

Back
Top Bottom