Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

I think $15 is a lot for a duckling IMHO. I just bought an 8 week old blue magpie hen for 15. I got a white drake for 20. Do you have chicken swaps where you live?

For call ducklings? I don't think so, especially show quality ones. Considering that they lay so few eggs per year and they're difficult to hatch, I can understand the price  hike.

I guess. People around here would never pay that much for ducklings. I do plan to hatch in spring though and sell the babies.

I think $15 is a lot for a duckling IMHO. I just bought an 8 week old blue magpie hen for 15. I got a white drake for 20. Do you have chicken swaps where you live?

For call ducklings? I don't think so, especially show quality ones. Considering that they lay so few eggs per year and they're difficult to hatch, I can understand the price  hike.

I guess. People around here would never pay that much for ducklings. I do plan to hatch in spring though and sell the babies.

We'll remind me to get some babies for you ( if you have any white )

I get 10-15 each for my ducklings. I payed $100 for one of my drakes and $150 for one of my pairs, plus I drove 4 hours each way to pick them up. I had 2 pairs shipped from Mallard Lane Farms and that wasn't cheap either. I can't fill all of my orders for ducklings, I end up short every year. $10 is the cheapest you can get them from anyone around here.

I get 10-15 each for my ducklings. I payed $100 for one of my drakes and $150 for one of my pairs, plus I drove 4 hours each way to pick them up. I had 2 pairs shipped from Mallard Lane Farms and that wasn't cheap either. I can't fill all of my orders for ducklings, I end up short every year. $10 is the cheapest you can get them from anyone around here.

$100 bucks? Wow! Musta been one heck of a drake! Got any photos? I'm dying to see what a 100-smacker call duck looks like! <3

When she's older I kinda want to show Wobbles but I'm clueless. She's already been around to a few hospitals as a therapy duck, but as far as actual SHOW-shows, I don't even know where to start. She's got a great head and she's tiny, even for a show quality call.

I probably do but just don't call them Chicken swaps . Probably dumb question but please explain ?

Well a bunch of farmers and rednecks show up at the local TSC, fairgrounds, etc early in the morning and buy, sell, trade all kinds of animals, livestock, tack, even baked goods and plants.

Mine aren't show quality, just pet quality. The shows around here are literally festering with disease (the swaps are too but you obviously have to buy the healthy birds and practice biosecurity). The last show I went to had almost a whole wall with birds with extremely swollen faces, nasal discharge, puffed up and sickly stance, closed eyes and gasping. I looked at their cards, and all were owned by the same owner. Then the other wall had a bunch of absolutely stunning roos... with scaley leg mites so bad they looked like those horror stories you see on here with birds that people have rescued. So needless to say, I don't wanna show around my area... :oops:

Well, Pennsylvania is pretty far from Europe! If I ever go to the Netherlands (which I really wanna go to someday) I'll be on the lookout for calls because they're from there.

When looking into good lines of calls for showing- they don't come cheap!!! Expect to pay $100 to $300 each and I've seen some fetch over $1000 each. Good quality calls are high demand and low supply prices are high. Most lines that are bred and good records are kept to strengthen the consistency of what is produced.... If you hatch 2 to 5 ducklings out of a pair you can call it a great year with that pair!!!

Maybe it's cuz I can't sleep, but I've just spent half an hour watching Wobbles sleep. I don't know why I never got a call duck before now. They're my new favorite animal. <3

Back
Top Bottom