Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Quote:
actually one per drake would be fine, mallard derivatives are supposed to only have one mate if they actually did live in the wild, and call ducks are closer to mallards than any other species so, one hen would actually be fine, they might switch mates every now and then and maybe even fight over them, but they would fight over them any way if you got three hens each

I have 1:1 right now, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not causing any issues at all for right now, but I'm pretty sure it would if I were to keep it that way more than a few months.
Quote:
actually one per drake would be fine, mallard derivatives are supposed to only have one mate if they actually did live in the wild, and call ducks are closer to mallards than any other species so, one hen would actually be fine, they might switch mates every now and then and maybe even fight over them, but they would fight over them any way if you got three hens each
1 hen each for those 2 will be fine. I keep 2 pair together at times. And seriously, they're ducks, "fighting" doesn't accomplish a whole lot. Lol
Thanks everyone! That's great news!

First thing call ducks are quite cold hardy. They will zip around in water that is iced over if you knock a hole in it just make sure they have a nice deep hay nest for them to return to.

Second thing unless you have space for two pens to keep the boys separate with their own two girls it won't work. The boys will fight and mating with the females will be aggressive. Worst case the mating is so agresive they kill your females bes case everyone looses lots of feathers and the back of your females head gets plucked raw.

actually not all mating is that bad, um... i think your call ducks are just little jealous buggers
idunno.gif

HELP!! My duckling has hatched but he has a lump at his navel!!!! Will he survive????? He is chirping up a storm. I'm so worried

He's in the incubator hasn't come out. He's still alive I put doe antibiotic ointment over his navel to keep it as clean as possible. Think good thoughts for my little Morris he has a lot to overcome tonight. :/

Back
Top Bottom