Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Will call ducks reproduce with full-size ducks? And would a khaki campbell drake be a danger to a female call?

Sometimes & possibly. My anconas shared a pen with the calls last year. I caught my ancona drakes trying to mate the call hens. Not sure they ever succeeded, but they tried. The danger would be in the drake squishing the hen or drowning her because she's so small. My girls got good at dodging the big drakes.

Sometimes & possibly. My anconas shared a pen with the calls last year. I caught my ancona drakes trying to mate the call hens. Not sure they ever succeeded, but they tried. The danger would be in the drake squishing the hen or drowning her because she's so small. My girls got good at dodging the big drakes.

Hmm.. I realllly want calls, but I don't have room to have them in a seprate enclosure. But I don't want to endanger them either. My khaki will have a big pekin girl to harass.... Maybe that would take some of the attention away from the calls?

Hmm.. I realllly want calls, but I don't have room to have them in a seprate enclosure. But I don't want to endanger them either. My khaki will have a big pekin girl to harass.... Maybe that would take some of the attention away from the calls?

My 2 ancona drakes had 8 hens to share & still occasionally tried for the call hens. Other than a few missing head feathers, the calls were fine. Like I said, after being grabbed a couple times, the girls learned to dodge the big drakes pretty quick.

Can anyone see what colour this little beauty is going to be?

Question about breeding: I know calls have a short laying window, but what about the drakes? About how long do they still go around mating the females? You'd think that they'd stop once the hens quit laying, but I'm honestly not sure.

Back
Top Bottom