Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
This is so bizzare - I've been hatching from my mis-matched trio of Calls all spring, and I've hatched NOTHING but Bibbeds and Blue Fawns. I just moved the second little pale Buff-colored Call duckling from this hatch into the brooder! I think they're Bibbed Lilacs. The rest are all Blue Bibbeds so far, and there should be 1 more Call hatching.

The two larger ducklings on the left-hand side of the picture are Dutch Hookbills, the other 5 are all Calls.
smile.png

CallandHookbillBabies.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the first dry baby from my surviving eggs from the fox attack. He/She is brown with a bib. I have one more out drying, and 2 more still absorbing yolk. The wet one is taking forever to dry. It has been out of the shell for 9 hours and is still wet. Anyway here is a pic of my first duck hatched ever.

47992_100_0504.jpg

He/She is with a silkie momma and 2 day old chicks. So far momma is keeping him nice and warm.

When should I offer him food and water? He/She is about 12-15 hours old now.

New pic of baby #1 and I added a pic of baby #2. Baby #2 is still very tired and doesn't open its eyes much. I hope it perks up like the first one did.

Baby #1
47992_100_0506.jpg

47992_100_0505.jpg

47992_100_0507.jpg

Baby #2
47992_100_0509.jpg

Here is baby #3 He was quite lethargic at first but with some vitamins and electrolite he has perked up quite a bit. Unfortunately, only on foot has opened. The other foot is still curled and he is walking on his ankle. I hope his foot opens as he gets stronger. 1 more baby is still working on absorbing his yolk and one is working on zipping. So far 3 are out, dry and running around.

47992_100_0510.jpg

47992_100_0512.jpg

Skittlez, What colour of call is baby #3? I just hatched 5 of them, but a couple of them have black bills and feet. The other ones are exactly like you're baby #3. I would love to know what i have. Thanks, Angie.

missy5
Today 1:14 pm Skittlez, What colour of call is baby #3? I just hatched 5 of them, but a couple of them have black bills and feet. The other ones are exactly like you're baby #3. I would love to know what i have. Thanks, Angie.

I think they will be grey. Here is a better pic of the greys.

47992_100_0963.jpg

They are so cute. I left mom with a couple of eggs from the time i stopped putting them in the bator. so three i hatched out of four and she hatched two. Mine were hatched one and two days before hers. Hers are healthier and perkier and even more friendly than mine. They are also eating better things than my babys. I'm putting my babys in with her tomorrow and i hope she excepts them. Her babys are swimming and eating grass and ants and they run right up to me to play. I think from now on i will let her do it all on her own.
Here are a couple of pics of mine and hers.
These are the ones from the bator.
68014_babys_468.jpg

68014_babys_498.jpg

68014_babys_408.jpg

These are from the real moma.
68014_babys_535.jpg

Here they are eating grass and bugs, on thier first day out. (one day old)
68014_babys_605.jpg

Heres mom telling them to get into the pool.
68014_babys_597.jpg

Heres mom and dad swimming with the two babys.
68014_babys_618.jpg

So i'm thinking they would be better off and healthier out doors with mom and dad. Hope she excepts them ok.

Alright so I have a few call ducks along with a magpie, a blue swedish, and a few pekins, I have one drake and that is a call duck drake, and he always got along with the girls fine. However now a few of them have ducklings and he attacks the babies like crazy! He does not just chase them they shakes them like rag dolls and wont let go until I run over there and pull him off! Clearly I have him locked away from them now but he is in a wire cage now because I only have one pen that has a net over it and the hawks will take him in a minute if I let him run free. I let him out to swim and play for a few hours a day but don't want to keep him locked up all summer. Is there anything I can do to get him to stop this? Does anyone else have this problem? I have never had any of my pekin drakes do this...is it common in call ducks? Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom