Dag on hawks!

Howdy and welcome. A lot of times after hawks start showing up you can pen them for a couple of weeks, leaving them in the covered run if you have one they will find out there is not a buffet and move on.
What was the time frame of losing all 4. I would think if it was short you have another predator. I see hawks constantly here and don't worry about them. There has been 4-6 circling the last few days. Bobcat and racoons are a mulch bigger worry and constant battle.

:welcome

Sorry for your loss. If you can provide some sort of shelter or cover for your flock (even bushes) that can give your birds a place to hide. Unfortunately, once a predator finds a free meal, they tend to return.

Maybe you'd consider a large covered run to protect the rest of your flock?
We have lots of trees alo g the property line and tons of shrubs and bushes... we also have a large run that we leave open for them to retreat in rain and to snack... I guess it's a roulette with nature.. hate it, but they would be unhappy cooped all day

but they would be unhappy cooped all day
Unhappy but alive. And it only takes a couple of weeks. You could even let them out in that time if only the last couple of hours of day light when you are out with them gardening feeding them whatever. I also like game cams to know what is really out there. You get hundreds of pics you don't want yes chicken pics but a lot of bad ones you don't want.lol

Again how long did it take to go through all 4?

Roos help, but get a strong, capable one. I had one who was young, w/ not a lot of experience who was killed by hawk. Welcome!!!

Messenger Kids_creation_1614459295668.jpeg

I had 4 birds killed by a red tailed hawk in a week last spring - all under a hawk net. I doubled up the net & that worked for a year. Then a month ago another kill. My husband chased it away, but it returned. It landed right on the net & looked for an opening it could fit through. I saw it in time before it could attack. It flew right out through the netting with no problem. All the hawk netting came down & right now they’re confined to a smaller safe pen while we rebuild the entire run. My town doesn’t allow roosters, so that solution won’t work. My opinion: hawk netting isn’t worth the $$.

Back
Top Bottom