Daily Duck Egg Report

The ducks are so pretty Jenni
big_smile.png
Congrats on them!

Our 2 Campbell's have been laying daily since they started laying a couple of months ago. I wonder if they'll have a break over Xmas. I hope not as we'll miss their eggs!

This is a pic of the very first egg we found. We were all very excited...including the dog!

Congrats on the eggs, my Khaki's have been laying every day for mos. now. Thank goodness, we would have no eggs seem the chickens quit.
he.gif
Anyone with a pond know, when do you make the ducks stay in their pen for the winter? Our pond had some ice around the edges this morning and the ducks sat there quacking to come up and eat. I took a rake and broke the lil bit of ice and they came right up. My pond is about 1/2acre, so it takes awhile for it to completely freeze over, but they didn't seem to want to even try to break through the lil bit that was there this morning. Yet, they ate n went right back in the pond. Do you wait till it freezes or should I lock em up for the winter?
idunno.gif

I was making pancakes tonite and cracked open 1 of my duck eggs and there was something icky green inside. The yolk was normal color, this was in the white part. It was about the size of a quarter and kinda olive green, I was grossed out and tossed it, but wondering what it was if anyone knows.

My duck stopped laying about a month ago. I am glad to hear this is normal. She is our first and only. I thought our dog was stealing them but I suppose I can stop giving her dirty looks now!

I was making pancakes tonite and cracked open 1 of my duck eggs and there was something icky green inside. The yolk was normal color, this was in the white part. It was about the size of a quarter and kinda olive green, I was grossed out and tossed it, but wondering what it was if anyone knows.
Probably just a glitch happens once in a while.

I have 3 Mallard hens. They were hatched the last week in March. The first one started laying in early Sept. A couple of weeks later the second started laying. We got 3 duck eggs last Sunday. Monday Tuesday and Wednesday we only got 2 duck eggs and yesterday we didn't get any duck eggs. Did they quit laying for the winter?

I think it might depend on where your located and the temperature. I have about 30 Mallard hens and bout the same number of drakes. Here in Southern Arizona we are still having daily highs in the upper 80's and I'm getting about 10 eggs a day. I think if you are in a warmer climate they will probably continue to lay thru the winter.

I think it might depend on where your located and the temperature. I have about 30 Mallard hens and bout the same number of drakes. Here in Southern Arizona we are still having daily highs in the upper 80's and I'm getting about 10 eggs a day. I think if you are in a warmer climate they will probably continue to lay thru the winter.

Thanks, the daily highs here usually run from 50-70 and lows range from the 20s to the 50s. So I think we are a little cooler than Southern Arizona but we will probably get some eggs in the winter. Also our days are longer in the winter than the more northern areas. If I remember well we got some hen eggs in the winter and we lived in south Alabama where the climate wasn't much different from here. I'm not familiar with ducks. I didn't if they quit laying until nesting season. We got one duck egg and 6 eggs from 7chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom